Most injured children are being treated in Iraq
|
NHS hospitals across Britain are on standby to admit children wounded in the war against Iraq.
So far, two children have been flown to the UK for specialist medical care.
The Ministry of Defence said there were no immediate plans to transfer other injured Iraqis.
However, officials acknowledged the situation could change in the days and weeks ahead.
Specialist care
The first patient to be flown from Iraq to the UK was a six-month-old baby girl with serious burns to her face and arms.
She was admitted to Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool on 31 March where she remains. Doctors there say she is now in a stable condition.
Only exceptional cases will be flown to the UK
Department of Health spokeswoman
|
The second patient, a 14-year-old boy with severe burns, was admitted to Birmingham Children's Hospital on Sunday. He is still in a critical condition.
Officials said there were no plans to fly 12-year-old Ali Ismail Abbas to the UK for treatment.
The boy, who lost both his arms and suffered serious burns to his upper body after an air strike on Baghdad by coalition forces, is currently being treated in Kuwait.
However, a number of organisations are pressing for him to be brought to the UK.
Officials said injured Iraqi civilians would only be flown to the UK for medical treatment in "exceptional cases".
A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "In both these cases, it was decided that the medical treatment these children needed couldn't be delivered there.
"Only exceptional cases will be flown to the UK not least because the flight itself can seriously affect patients."
The Ministry of Defence said armed forces medical personnel would decide if any other Iraqis should be flown to the UK for medical care.
A spokesman said: "Medical teams on the ground will make a decision as to the most appropriate treatment for individuals drawn to their attention.
"If this medical treatment can be given locally it will be, but if it is felt that the best treatment is available in the UK then they will be flown here."
Early plans
The Department of Health drew up plans before the outbreak of war to distribute any casualties flown into the UK for medical treatment around the country.
Officials had drawn up a list of airports where casualties would be flown to on a rotational basis before being transferred to hospital.
The policy aimed to ensure that no single hospital was overwhelmed and that the NHS could continue to work effectively.