Philippe Varin, Corus chief executive, was not at the summit
|
Organisers of a summit to discuss the future of steel making on Teesside have expressed their disappointment at the number of people who attended.
Unions had expected around 600 people to take part in the summit at the Redcar Bowl on Sunday, but only 200 turned out.
The summit - which was attended by MPs and union leaders - hoped to provide answers on the future of Teesside's steel industry.
Steel makers Corus, where 2,200 Teesside jobs hang in the balance, declined an invitation to attend.
In April, the company announced its Teesside plant would no longer produce steel for Corus, and said if it failed to make a profit on the international market, the plant would close.
Next time we want to do it with government ministers, with workers and with Corus
Steve Dyson, editor Evening Gazette
|
It thought the decision by Corus not to attend the summit may have had an impact on the number of people who turned up.
The chair of the multi-union committee on Teesside, Tony Poynter, said he had hoped more people would have shown their support.
"I estimated there would be 600 earlier in the week and I was disappointed.
"I will be telling the people at work that in the coming days.
"I think morale had something to do with it. I think the weather was against us, it was too good, but you can't really use that excuse.
But Steve Dyson, the editor of the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette, who helped to organise the event, said the people of Teesside would not give up their fight.
"You will see more summits. We don't want to do it in an opposing way, we want to do it in a constructive way.
"Next time we want to do it with government ministers, with workers and with Corus."