Palestinian residents say there have been no improvements at checkpoints
|
Palestinians have said that little has changed in many areas despite Israel's claim that restrictions have been eased in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip.
The Israeli army said the total closure of the territories was lifted last night, a move that would allow about 25,000 Palestinians with work permits to return to their jobs in Israel.
The move was billed as a goodwill gesture ahead of Wednesday's meeting between US President George W Bush and the Israeli and Palestinian prime ministers in Jordan to discuss the US-backed international peace plan for the Middle East known as the roadmap.
But residents of Ramallah in the West Bank said there had been no improvement at checkpoints, while Palestinian officials in the Gaza Strip said fewer than 5,000 people had been allowed to return to their jobs in Israel.
Violence has continued in Gaza, where Israeli soldiers shot dead an armed Palestinian man who had opened fire on the Kissufim checkpoint.
There were also reports that a Palestinian youth was shot and critically wounded by Israeli soldiers, in Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza.
'New atmosphere'
Correspondents say the Israeli army has maintained its positions in both Gaza and the West Bank so that the closure can quickly be reimposed should Israel feel the security situation demands it.
The continuous Israeli statements seem directed toward public consumption
Palestinian labour minister
|
The restrictions were originally imposed to prevent suicide bombings and other attacks on Israeli targets. Palestinians, who have suffered severe economic and social consequences from the closure and say it amounts to collective punishment.
For its part, the militant group Hamas has vowed to continue its attacks unless Israel makes substantial concessions to the Palestinians.
The Israeli move follows talks last Thursday between the Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, and the Palestinian Prime Minister, Mahmoud Abbas - who is better known as Abu Mazen - on implementation of the roadmap.
US President George W Bush is to meet both Mr Sharon and Abu Mazen in the Jordanian city of Aqaba on Wednesday in an attempt to push forward moves to end the violence.
On Tuesday the US president will gather Arab leaders in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt for the first time since the war in Iraq.
Strings attached
Thursday meeting between Mr Sharon and Abu Mazen was the first between the two men since Mr Sharon persuaded his cabinet to approve the US-backed peace plan.
|
ROADMAP MAIN POINTS
Phase 1 (to May 2003): End to Palestinian violence; Palestinian political reform; Israeli withdrawal and freeze on settlement expansion; Palestinian elections
Phase 2: (June-Dec 2003) Creation of an independent Palestinian state; international conference and international monitoring of compliance with roadmap
Phase 3 (2004-2005): Second international conference; permanent status agreement and end of conflict; agreement on final borders, Jerusalem, refugees and settlements; Arab states to agree to peace deals with Israel
|
But while ministers backed the plan, they attached a number of conditions to its implementation - reservations the US has said it will address.
Mr Sharon has made clear that only building work on Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza that have not been approved by the Israeli Government will be halted, although the plan demands a freeze on all settlement activity.
Before voting on the roadmap, the Israeli cabinet also passed a motion rejecting the Palestinian demand of the right of refugees to return to their former homes in what is now Israel, while the roadmap urges both sides to reach a resolution on the issue.