[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 17 April, 2003, 06:14 GMT 07:14 UK
Royal Mint 'should lose Crown immunity'
Euro coins
The Mint made too few euros
An employee's death has prompted a powerful committee of MPs to call for an end to the Royal Mint's Crown immunity from prosecution.

In a report published on Thursday, the public accounts committee also lambasted Mint bosses for a failed plan to produce euro coins that cost taxpayers £12m and put 220 people out of work and mistakes that led to the theft of £30,680 and an operating loss in 2001 of £6.5m.

A Health and Safety Executive investigation blamed the publicly-owned company when John Wynne was killed by a 6.5 tonne (6.4 ton) furnace that fell from the hook of an overhead crane.

The committee said: "It is unacceptable the Mint should hide behind Crown immunity in such circumstances."

Mr Wynne, 50, from Gilfach Goch, Glamorgan, south Wales, had worked at the Llantrisant factory for 21 years.

The committee also condemned the plan to produce euros as "seriously flawed" and "naive".

I have already taken the action necessary to fulfil the Mint's obligation to maintain the highest ethical standards
Mint chief executive Gerald Sheehan

The Mint failed to make the coins fast enough to make a profit, despite management assurances, said MPs.

They also criticised bosses' "lax attitude" to basic financial controls and security and said safes were often left open and unattended all day.

In 1997 £5,000 was stolen.

In December 2001 another theft, of £25,680, was discovered.

It could have happened at any time during the previous eight months - the last stock check had been in February.

Mint employees and contractors working on the site had had access to the area where the safe was located.

No-one has been arrested.

Tough measures

The committee also urged bosses to "deal vigorously" with any management shortcomings following the opening of a Serious Fraud Office investigation into allegations of improper payments.

Chief executive Gerald Sheehan said he had taken a number of tough measures to return to profit - but there was no quick fix.

"I have already taken the action necessary to fulfil the Mint's obligation to maintain the highest ethical standards," he added.


SEE ALSO:
Royal Mint posts record loss
17 Oct 02  |  Business
Fraud officers probe Royal Mint
27 Sep 02  |  Business
Payments under review at Royal Mint
01 Jul 02  |  Business
Royal Mint set to lose 200 jobs
29 Mar 02  |  Wales
Widow bitter over Mint law
17 Apr 03  |  Politics


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific