Children as young as five are caught putting objects on the line
|
A campaign has been launched to try to stop children putting lives at risk by trespassing on railway lines.
Network Rail hopes patrols by British Transport Police and railway officials will deter young people from venturing on to the tracks.
Last year on railways in the South East there were 22 deaths, 45 injuries and 49 near misses between trains and trespassers.
From Wednesday, patrols will target known hotspots for trespassing.
Metal bar
Police say children as young as five have been caught putting objects on the line.
PC Tony Crooks, of British Transport Police, said: "What we are looking for are obvious signs of graffiti, showing groups are here regularly.
"In one instance, a group of youths had gained access to a metal bar and had laid it across the guard rail or running rail.
"Trains and services were suspended for quite a long time as a result."
Blood pressure
A train travelling at full speed can take as long as a mile to come to a halt, making it difficult for drivers to avoid hitting obstructions.
Train driver Dennis Payne said: "It is a frightening experience if you get somebody jump off a platform and run across to the other side in front of a train.
"It doesn't do your heart any good, or your blood pressure, especially at this time of year with better weather and the school holidays.
"You are expecting it all the time."
Electrocuted on track
Paul Dormer, whose 15-year-old son Joe died on a railway line in Canterbury, has backed the campaign.
Joe was electrocuted and run over by a train as he took a short cut across the tracks on his way to school.
"It's the most horrible thing in the world - especially when he was only 15 years of age and had all these dreams," said Mr Dormer.
"All of this was gone in the blink of an eye."