Mr Ahern and Mr Blair are to speak on Wednesday by telephone
|
An appeal to the pro-Agreement parties for more time to find a breakthrough in the political deadlock has been made by Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern.
Mr Ahern is expected to discuss the situation with British Prime Minister Tony Blair in a phone call on Wednesday evening.
Earlier, the two leaders discussed the situation when they met for 30 minutes on the margins of a European Union summit in Athens.
The two governments postponed the publication of their blueprint to fully implement the Good Friday Agreement and restore devolution until they received clarification of an IRA statement on its future intentions.
Mr Ahern acknowledged that the search for a resolution had been "painfully slow".
"I do appreciate that it is not easy for the parties and I would appeal to them to give us some more time," he said.
David Trimble said his own party had a number of ideas
|
"It may not work but it it is certainly worth the effort because all of the work that has happened in the last six months might be put on hold or collapse altogether for the next number of months."
Officials from both governments are continuing to hold discussions and contact is ongoing with the Northern Ireland political parties.
Earlier on Wednesday, Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble said the IRA's statement on its future intent over the Northern Ireland political process had fallen a long way short of what was required.
David Trimble said he was disappointed and believed the plan that was being developed last week by the British and Irish Governments will not now happen.
He said the governments needed to come up with some ideas for "a Plan B" about how to proceed and that some serious thinking was required.
The UUP leader said his own party had a number of ideas but he was not ready to make them public.
Framework document
Responding to Mr Trimble's comments, Sinn Fein's Gerry Kelly said the British Government had said the IRA statement showed a clear desire to make the process work.
He said Mr Trimble's focus on dictating terms should not be allowed to frustrate the peace process.
Meanwhile, Irish Justice Minister Michael McDowell said he was optimistic there would be a breakthrough in the process within seven days.
The government received clarification of a number of its questions over the IRA statement on Monday night.
SDLP leader Mark Durkan said
the governments were right to ask for answers from the IRA in order to restore devolution.
Speaking in Dublin, Mr Durkan insisted
elections had to go ahead on 29 May otherwise credibility in the peace process would be lost.
Sinn Fein has repeated its call for the two governments to publish their framework document aimed at restoring devolution.
It is believed the three questions put to the IRA on Monday concern whether its campaign will be brought to a complete and final closure, whether it will cease all its activities and whether it will put all its arms beyond use.
Postponed
Mr Blair and Mr Ahern must now decide whether enough progress has been made to allow them to publish their proposals aimed at restoring devolution.
Northern Ireland's power-sharing administration was suspended on 14 October 2002 amid allegations of IRA intelligence gathering at the heart of the Stormont government.
The British and Irish Governments felt the IRA had not made its intentions clear enough regarding the decommissioning of its weapons, and its long-term commitment to peace.
The two prime ministers had planned to unveil their proposals in Northern Ireland last Thursday, but the visit was postponed at the last minute.
It is understood Downing Street was unhappy with the wording of an earlier draft response from the IRA.