Marcus Walters and Francisco Borg are claiming damages
|
An amateur boxer has told a court how he was arrested by police after being attacked by a racist gang.
Francisco Borg, 22, who is due to represent Wales later this week, said he was attacked
by a group of skinheads, but was arrested himself following the incident in August 1997.
Mr Borg and his friend Marcus Walters are claiming damages against South Wales Police for unlawful arrest,
false imprisonment and malicious prosecution.
A hearing at Cardiff County Court was told on Tuesday that the two black students were driving through the Roath area of Cardiff when they were attacked.
We thought they were there to help us but they turned and
attacked us and arrested us
|
Their car was kicked by a skinhead riding a bicycle and moments later the two black students were surrounded by a white mob.
The court was played CCTV footage of the incident which was captured by cameras on City
Road.
Mr Borg told the court he was "terrified" and said he believed at the time there were
about 10 or 11 men in the group.
He said he then got out of the car and as police arrived at the scene, he admitted pushing a woman officer out of the
way.
He said: "I was trying to get away from the gang attacking me.
The attack was captured on CCTV camera
|
"I saw Marcus getting arrested on the floor. He was handcuffed.
"I was shocked. I told them (the police): 'We're the victims, what are you arresting us
for?"'
Mr Borg told the hearing he was flung to the floor by officers.
He added: "I realised there were two police officers holding me down."
He was also sprayed with CS spray before being handcuffed and taken to a police station.
Mr Borg said: "I could not see properly. I was blinded, my eyes were burning, I was terrified."
Charges
He claimed officers told Mr Walters and himself that they had provoked the
attack and said that no officer showed that they understood the pair had been victims of a racial
attack.
Mr Borg said: "We thought they were there to help us but they turned and
attacked us and arrested us."
Mr Walters and Mr Borg were initially charged with violent disorder but all charges were later dropped.
In May 2000, five police officers were disciplined over their handling of the attack following an investigation supervised by the Police Complaints Authority.
South Wales Police deny the present allegations and say their officers were carrying out their duties.
The case, which is due to last 10 days, was adjourned until Wednesday by Judge Crispin Masterman.