Ahmed insists he is still a spokesman
|
Pakistan's information minister has insisted he is still a government spokesman despite a Pakistani foreign office declaration to the contrary.
"I enjoy full confidence of Prime Minister [Mir Zafarullah] Jamali and I am the spokesman not only for foreign policy but for all other ministries," Sheikh Rashid Ahmed told the BBC.
Pakistan's foreign ministry announced on Monday that only five people in the government are authorised to give statements on foreign policy matters - Mr Ahmed was not one of them.
The clarification came after highly controversial comments from a couple of ministers in recent days.
Mr Ahmed in particular had made a number of remarks about United States policy towards Iraq and India.
When they [Indian leaders] issue undiplomatic statements, why can't we?
|
"I issue statements, which are in accordance with the national security interests and represent the feelings of the masses," said Mr Ahmed.
Remarks made by other government members on foreign affairs issues should be treated as the personal views of those individuals, foreign ministry spokesman Aziz Ahmed Khan said.
In most cases, statements issued by the ministers had been at variance with the official position.
War of words
Without referring to the foreign office spokesman, Mr Ahmed said there was a difference between what the government employees had to say and what politicians said.
Hawks in the foreign ministry are said to be upset
|
"I am an elected representative of the people and a member of the Pakistan Muslim League (PML)," he said.
He admitted reacting to recent statements by Indian leaders who talked of the possibility of a pre-emptive strike against Pakistan.
"When they [Indian leaders] issue undiplomatic statements, why can't we?" he said.