[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 15 April, 2003, 14:58 GMT 15:58 UK
China trip despite Sars risk
Nurse and Sars patient
Sars has infected thousands of people across the globe
An organisation helping companies with export advice is to press ahead with a trip to China despite fears over the spread of the Sars virus.

Trade Missions North East, which organises government sponsored trade trips, is taking a team of north east businessmen and women to the cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou in June.

Guangzhou is the provincial city of the Guangdong province, where the vast majority of cases Sars been recorded.

Current Foreign Office advises against travel to the region unless it is essential because of the spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars).

A senior health official in the North East has also advised against the trip, saying people should only be visiting certain areas of China when "absolutely necessary".

If these businessmen insist on going for whatever reason they should be aware of the signs and symptoms
Dr Vivian Hollioake

But John Marks, from Trade Missions North East, said the trip was still on course to take place, and health advice would be closely monitored and acted upon if necessary.

He said four companies had already signed up to the trip and expected up to 20 to eventually take part.

Mr Marks said: "We are going ahead with the trip at the moment, but that position will be reviewed in about a months time, depending on travel and health advice.

"The situation is still pretty serious out there, but cases are decreasing.

Medical advice

"People signing up for the trip now can do so on a 'no commitment' basis until nearer the time when we have to confirm bookings."

Dr Vivian Hollioake, from the Health Protection Agency North East, said the trip went against current Foreign Office advice.

"From a public health perspective, anyone who is planning to travel to that part of the world should be heeding that advice.

"The advice should not just apply to tourists.

"However, if these businessmen insist on going for whatever reason they should be aware of the signs and symptoms."

Business contacts

Dr Hollioake said anyone coming down with a high fever, cough, shortness of breath, and/or difficulty in breathing within 10 days of returning from the region should seek medical advice.

She added: "I would be concerned about any individual going out there and advice is that they don't unless the trip is entirely necessary."

The trip is due to depart on 16 June and gives local business people the opportunity to establish potential contacts.

He said they would be given health advice about the illness that has infected 3,000 people - most in south-east Asia - and killed 140.

Trade Missions North East is supported by the govenment organisation Trade Partners UK.




SEE ALSO:
UK given travel bug warning
02 Apr 03  |  Politics


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific