The people of Basra wonder what will happen next
|
A Western journalist who managed to get inside the southern Iraqi city of Basra says earlier claims of a popular uprising appear to be incorrect.
There is doubt as to who controls the city of 1.5 million people, which is encircled by British forces.
Meanwhile, concern is mounting for civilians who are running out of food and water.
"Some Iraqi paramilitaries opened fire in the area around the bridge... one civilian was seriously injured and a dozen likely injured," Reuters news agency's David Fox told the BBC.
"The whole time we were there we could hear the crackle of machine gun fire."
Britain and the United States hoped the people of Basra, who staged an uprising against Saddam Hussein in 1991, would welcome their arrival.
But any claims that there has been a popular uprising "have not been substantiated whatsoever," said Fox.
"The population isn't in a panic, they are complaining about the lack of water and also food."
Warm welcome
Fox, who was in the city's outskirts for several days, said he had detected hostility towards the British troops and journalists.
But on Friday, when he managed to get inside the city, people invited him into their homes and made him feel welcome.
He said he had been told there were Iraqi troops in the city.
British guns point towards Basra
|
"The British say... paramilitaries are using civilian vehicles with mortars so they are very mobile. They are moving around from place to place to attack British positions," Fox added.
He said an air of uncertainty pervaded Basra.
"This invasion appears to have gone so swiftly that behind the frontlines there is a vacuum left behind... People are wondering whether Saddam Hussein and his forces are going to come back again.
"A huge invading army is going through their country. Even if they welcome them in order to depose Saddam Hussein, their lives are in absolute chaos.
"Everyone is clamouring for water... The first aid distribution we saw came from the Kuwaiti Red Crescent... There were fist fights going on for it. Clearly there is some desperation."
British assistance
A British military official said centres were being set up on Basra's outskirts to provide food and water to hundreds of fleeing civilians, who would be given safe passage.
According to British forces spokesman Group Captain Al Lockwood, the Iraqi militias loyal to Saddam Hussein have been trying to force ordinary residents to fight with them - and that those seen leaving may have been attempting to flee.
Sergeant Duane Gardner, of the Queen's Royal Lancers, said: "Civilians tell us that the militia have piled into Basra.
"All their kit, their army - apparently the tanks are hidden in the shop windows and under car parks."
Group Captain Lockwood conceded Basra was "clearly nowhere near" to being under coalition forces' control, but that the war was being fought "in our time and on our terms".
But speaking at a news conference in London, the British army's most senior officer, General Sir Mike Jackson, dismissed suggestions that the strength of Iraqi forces had surprised UK and US troops.
"Armies cannot keep moving forever without stopping from time to time to regroup, to ensure their supplies are up," he
said.
Sir Michael said Iraqi forces had been pinned down and were no match for UK forces.