[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
LANGUAGES
Somali
French
Swahili
Great Lakes
Hausa
Portuguese
Last Updated:  Friday, 28 March, 2003, 13:27 GMT
POWs are Kenyan civilians
One of the prisoners of war, shown on al-Jazeera television
One of the prisoners of war shown on al-Jazeera TV
Two men captured by Iraq and shown on TV have been identified as Kenyan civilians.

An unnamed foreign ministry official in Nairobi identified the two men as David Mukuria and Jacob Kamau Maina from central Kenya.

On Thursday, an MoD spokeswoman told BBC News Online that the two drivers were sub-contractors to the British Army working through an unnamed company in Saudi Arabia.

She said they had been part of a convoy with a military escort, but had become separated after it was halted by a "civil disturbance".

The MoD said it appeared the two drivers had been captured after they failed to make a turning when the rest of the aid convoy did.

The second alleged British prisoner of war, shown on al-Jazeera television
The second Kenyan PoW
The Kenyan official said their country's ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Mohamed Mahat, was working with the International Committee of the Red Cross to seek the two men's release.

The official declined to name the company the Kenyans were working for and gave no other details.

Criticism

The MoD spokeswoman said: "It would be quite normal to hire civilian contractors."

But she could not say how many civilians were working for the MoD in Iraq, or whether the policy was under review.

Instead of one big recognizable Saddam, the world will be infected by little 'Saddamlets' who will be invisible and make life most uncomfortable for us all.
Accra Mail - Ghana

The men should be given prisoner of war status while they were held, she added.

Their employers have been informed of their capture.

UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon had criticised Qatar-based satellite channel al-Jazeera for showing footage of the captured men and of dead British soldiers.

Mr Hoon said the decision to broadcast TV footage of two dead British soldiers had been a "flagrant and sickening breach of the Geneva convention".

And he condemned the Iraqi regime for "parading" the prisoners of war on television.

Mr Hoon said anybody guilty of war crimes would be held personally responsible for their actions.

Earlier al-Jazeera reporter Jawad Omari defended the station, saying it was determined to "show our audience the truth, even if it is a dirty war".




WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Paul Adams reports from Qatar
"War is awful, sometimes very hard to watch"



SEE ALSO:
Extra £1.25bn for war on Iraq
27 Mar 03  |  Business
Bullet-proof helmet saves marine
27 Mar 03  |  England


INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific