Rail passengers were bussed between Belfast stations
|
The rail network in Northern Ireland is getting back to normal after a major power failure during the morning rush hour caused delays.
Some passengers travelling into Belfast were held up for over half an hour on their way to work on Friday.
Commuters were bussed between Great Victoria Street and Central Stations following the power problem.
Translink director Seamus Scallon explained what had happened and said the problem had been rectified.
"The points and signalling in the Great Victoria Street station area just went out of action," he said.
"It meant that we had to put some manual systems into place and when you do that there are a number of overriding safety factors that you have to apply and that automatically implies delays.
We are doing our best to monitor the situation, that is all we can do
Seamus Scallon Translink director
|
"Subsequent to that, of course, trains ended up in the wrong places and a number of delays ensued.
"The worst delay we had was between 35 and 40 minutes but thankfully things are back to normal now.
"I would like to thank everyone for bearing with us."
Meanwhile, Dublin-bound rail travellers are still being bussed on part of the route because of an ongoing security alert on the line in County Armagh on Tuesday.
A suspicious package was found near Lurgan and the area is being examined by army technical experts.
With thousands of rugby fans expected to travel to Dublin this weekend for the crucial six nations rugby clash between Ireland and England, passengers are being urged to arrive at stations in plenty of time.
"We are doing our best to monitor the situation, that is all we can do," said Mr Scallon.