Iraq denies Luke Allsopp (l) and Simon Cullingworth were executed
|
The British Ministry of Defence has named two UK soldiers thought to have been pictured dead on the Arabic TV station, al-Jazeera.
The two were named as Sapper Luke Allsopp, 24, from north London and Staff Sergeant Simon Cullingworth, 36, from Essex.
Both were members of 33 (EOD) Engineer Regiment, a specialist bomb disposal
unit of the Royal Engineers, based at Carver Barracks, Wimbish, Essex.
The pair had been listed as missing in action since their vehicle came under an attack on a British convoy near the southern city of Basra on Sunday.
Commanders said at the time that the vehicles scattered in the ambush, and when they regrouped the pair's vehicle was empty.
The MoD said it was "working on the belief" the pair were the two soldiers whose bodies were shown in amateur footage broadcast on the Qatar-based al-Jazeera television station.
|
Bomb Disposal units
Formed in 1939
45,450 bombs defused in WWII
389 men killed in WWII
Awarded 13 George Crosses
|
Staff Sergeant Cullingworth, who the MoD said had been in line for promotion, leaves behind a wife, Allison, and two young sons, aged eight and three.
Lieutenant Colonel Anthony Troulan, the commanding officer of the regiment, said Staff Sergeant Cullingworth was an "extremely experienced soldier" whose "dedication to duty and professionalism had won him the respect of everyone he served with".
Iraq was his third tour of duty with the regiment - he had also served in the Balkans and Afghanistan.
Sapper Luke Allsop was described as "a very capable individual who was well liked within the Squadron, and a valued team member."
He had also served within bomb disposal in Cyprus and Kenya.
|
BRITISH LOSSES IN IRAQ
22 have died so far
Four in combat
18 in accidents or under "friendly fire"
|
Sapper Allsop leaves behind his family and girlfriend Katy.
Iraq was his third tour of duty with the regiment - he had also served in the Balkans and Afghanistan.
UK Prime Minister Tony Blair earlier accused the Iraqi regime of "executing" the two men.
"If anyone needed any further evidence of the depravity of Saddam's regime, this atrocity provides it," he said at a joint news conference in the US with George W Bush.
The family of Sapper Allsopp reacted angrily to the suggestion the soldiers were executed.
His sister Nina insisted the Army had told his family the two bomb disposal experts had died instantly in combat.
Later the prime minister's official spokesman acknowledged there was not absolute proof they were executed but claimed "every piece of information points towards the men having been executed in a brutal fashion".
He said the bodies had been found some distance from their vehicles and their protective equipment and helmets were missing.
The spokesman said he was reluctant to make what was a very upsetting time for the family more difficult.
"No one has ever for a second questioned the bravery and the honour of these soldiers," he said.
The Iraqi information minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf later denied Mr Blair's claims and indicated to Abu Dhabi television that they were killed in battle.