Despite a ceasefire deal with the FDD, fighting continues
|
At least 68 rebels have been killed in three days of heavy fighting to the north-east of the capital, Bujumbura, says the Burundian army.
The army says four soldiers were wounded in the clashes with Forces for the Defence of Democracy (FDD) rebels in the Kibira forest.
A rebel spokesman confirmed the fighting, but said his forces had killed seven soldiers while suffering only two deaths.
The FDD is the largest Hutu rebel group in Burundi and signed a ceasefire with the government late last year aimed at ending a decade of civil war.
However, the fighting has continued - with both sides accusing the other of violating the agreement.
On Monday, two pupils and two teachers were killed along with soldiers after the FDD attacked a military checkpoint near a primary school.
A spokesman for the Forces for the Defence of Democracy (FDD) rebels said the children and teachers had been killed by accident, along with 10 soldiers.
Staying on?
Two other rebel groups have also signed ceasefire agreements but a fourth, the Forces for National Liberation, (FNL) has refused.
Mandela was the architect of the transitional government
|
However the FNL and the government ended secret consultative talks in Switzerland over the weekend with a pledge to hold future meetings.
More than 300,000 people have been killed in almost 10 years of civil war between ethnic Hutu rebels and the Tutsi-dominated government.
As part of a power-sharing agreement mediated by Nelson Mandela, President Pierre Buyoya is due to step down on 1 May, to be replaced by Hutu Vice President Domitien Ndayizeye.
However, Mr Buyoya has recently hinted that he may not leave power until the fighting stops.