ScotRail has abandoned an attempt to take legal action to stop a train strike by guards which is set to cause major disruption to the network.
The company's lawyers had written to Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) Union, asking him to call off Friday's stoppage.
They said there were sufficient discrepancies in the strike ballot, in which just over half the union's members voted, for ScotRail to obtain an interim interdict to stop the strike.
However, it has since decided not to seek an interim interdict.
'Pointless strike'
A ScotRail spokesman said: "After taking further legal advice we have decided
not to proceed with the interdict at this stage.
"Thousands of passengers are now going to be inconvenienced by this pointless
strike."
Legal action "remains an option" if the dispute continues, the spokesman
added.
The dispute revolves around the role of conductors in the event of an emergency or a breakdown.
The RMT has called two more strikes, the next on Monday and the third on 17 April.
RMT members employed by eight other rail companies across the UK are also set to take part in the action.
Kit Kat sellers
On Wednesday, Mr Crow said the companies were not prepared to accept a safety case submitted by the union which had been accepted by a number of other train companies.
The dispute first surfaced at the end of the 1990s when most train companies switched the responsibility for safety from guards to drivers.
The RMT said this reduced the role of guards to onboard "KitKat sellers".
The train companies being hit by the strike are Silverlink, ScotRail, Thames Trains, Connex South Eastern, Govia South Central, Arriva Trains Merseyside, Central Trains, Virgin Cross Country and Virgin West Coast.