BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 16:05 GMT
Nepal's Maoists warn government
Maoist rebels
Maoists say the government should act in good faith
The leader of Maoist rebels in Nepal has warned they will abandon a recent ceasefire agreement if there are any signs of bad faith from the government.

Maoist leader Prachanda made the comments in a statement to mark the seventh anniversary of their insurgency against the monarchy.

We have managed to create a very friendly environment and friendly atmosphere

Narayan Singh Pun
Government negotiator
But he said they were committed to finding a peaceful resolution through dialogue with the government.

The rebels and the government agreed last month to a ceasefire and are planning peace talks to end the hostilities, which have killed more than 7,000 people.

Taking it seriously

Prachanda said: "If there are any indications of deception or conspiracy against us we would break off the ceasefire and resume decisive war at any point."

He argued that the Maoists had taken the peace process seriously and that they intend to work towards its success.
Maoist rebels
Most Maoists hope the ceasefire will last

The Nepalese Government says it is likely to take a long time for the talks to get started because preparations are necessary to ensure their success.

But chief government negotiator Narayan Singh Pun says progress is slowly being made.

"At the moment we're not talking as adversaries. We have managed to create a very friendly environment and friendly atmosphere," Mr Pun told the BBC.

Negotiator named

But he added: "It's just that the situation is so complex and there are so many issues to be handled."

The Maoists have named rebel leader, Babu Ram Bhattarai, as head of the five-member team for the talks and Mr Pun said he was in informal contact with the rebel negotiators.

During the last peace talks in 2001, rebel negotiators and government ministers met three times

The rebels eventually withdrew after accusing the government of failing to listen to them and being rigid during negotiations.

Background to Nepal's Maoist war

Analysis

Eyewitness

Background:

BBC NEPALI SERVICE
See also:

12 Feb 03 | South Asia
02 Jan 03 | South Asia
29 May 02 | Business
19 Apr 02 | South Asia
20 Mar 02 | South Asia
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes