BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 15:52 GMT
Pool boy's death was an accident
Herringthorpe Leisure Centre pool
The coroner criticised conditions at the pool
An inquest jury has decided that an eight-year-old boy who drowned in a Rotherham swimming pool died accidentally.

Although the coroner criticised the conditions and design of the swimming pool he concluded they did not contribute to the death of Jason Bibby.

Jason died after diving into the deep end of the pool at Herringthorpe Leisure Centre on 4 March 2001.

The two-day hearing was told how the leisure style pool had suffered from a number of problems including a lifeguard control tower which had visibility black spots and a reliance on casual staff.

Jason Bibby
Jason dived into the deep end
But coroner Stanley Hooper said: "These causes of concern cannot be linked with the unfortunate death of Jason Michael Bibby.

"The little chap died because he decided to be adventurous.

"He decided to jump into the swimming pool when really he should not have done so and whilst his father was tending to other children."

Jason's father, Mark Bibby, had earlier described how he was preparing to leave the pool after a swimming trip with his three children and another family.

Civil action

He said he had left his son for just two minutes sitting by the side of the pool when he turned to see his Jason's lifeless body face down in the water.

Speaking on behalf of the family solicitor Stephen Smith: "This family is quite convinced that had people been in the right place at the right time, this terrible incident could have been avoided."

Geoff Eagle, for Rotherham Council, said: "Once again we would like to send our sympathies to Jason's family and friends.

"Although the conditions at the pool did not cause Jason Bibby's death a number of areas for improvement have been implemented at Herringthorpe Leisure Centre."

The Bibby family are now considering whether to pursue civil action.


Click here for more from South Yorkshire
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes