BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 10:38 GMT
India rebel deal sparks protests
Indian soldiers on patrol on a bridge in Assam
Assam has a long history of violent insurgency

A general strike has disrupted life in several parts of India's north-eastern state of Assam.

The strike has been called by groups opposed to a recent agreement signed between the Indian Government and rebels representing Bodo tribespeople.

A Bodo boy
Bodos make up 13% of Assam's population
Eighteen non-Bodo groups have come together to campaign against the deal, which they say is likely to damage the interests of non-Bodos in the area.

A spokesman for the alliance told the BBC the strike would end on Saturday.

Brojen Mahanta said the accord between Delhi and the Bodoland Liberation Tigers Force (BLTF) was not acceptable to his organisation.

He said the deal did not protect the interests of the non-Bodos, who, he said, were in a majority in most parts of western Assam.

Many areas of western Assam would become part of the proposed Bodoland Territorial Council, created under the accord.

Reassurance

The strike has had a mixed response in western Assam so far, where many areas are reported to be tense.

In areas dominated by non-Bodos, life has been disrupted but the strike had no impact in areas dominated by the Bodos.

Several trains passing through western Assam were stopped after supporters of the strike sat on the tracks.

There were also reports of some violence from the town of Bongaigaon.

However, leaders of the BLTF have been trying to allay the fears of non-Bodos.

The BLTF chairman, Hangrama Basuamatary, told the BBC that all non-Bodos would continue to enjoy property rights in the proposed territorial council area and no one would be dispossessed or displaced.

See also:

10 Feb 03 | South Asia
02 Jan 03 | South Asia
21 Dec 02 | South Asia
27 Nov 02 | South Asia
13 Aug 02 | South Asia
16 May 01 | South Asia
01 Dec 01 | South Asia
29 Jan 03 | Country profiles
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes