BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 12:27 GMT
Poster appeal in farmhouse double murder
Harry and Megan Tooze (South Wales Police)
Harry and Megan Tooze were shot dead at their home
Detectives reinvestigating the shotgun murders of an elderly couple almost 10 years ago have launched a poster campaign in an attempt to find more information about the killings.

Harry and Megan Tooze died at their remote farm house in Llanharry, south Wales, in July 1993.

Replica bag
A bag like this was found containing shotgun barrels

Their prospective son-in-law, Jonathan Jones, 40, was jailed for life for the killings, but was released a year later by the appeal court.

The fresh appeal follows the discovery of new evidence by police earlier this month.

A holdall containing a set of shotgun barrels and two used cartridges was found in a disused quarry near the couple's isolated farmbouse.

Posters showing the black holdall have now been put up in and around Llanharry by officers.

The bag has red stitching, a zip and Team Daiwa written in gold lettering.

Cartridges
Police found the cartridges in a disused quarry

The bodies of the couple were found by police officers who had been alerted by their daughter, Cheryl, after she had been unable to contact her parents.

They were in the cowshed adjoining their farmhouse and both had been shot with a 12-bore double-barrelled shotgun.

The pair had been shot at close range in an execution-style killing.

Police have spent the past 14 months searching the area around the farm, a nearby iron ore mine and the quarry, which has been used for fly-tipping.

Detective Chief Inspector Trefor Evans, leading the inquiry for South Wales Police, said there had been a steady flow of information about the recovered items.

I am appealing to the writer of the anonymous letter to contact me so we can get the extra information we need

Det Ch Insp Trefor Evans

But he said that the writer of an anonymous letter had not yet made contact.

"We are encouraged by the response we have had to our appeal for information," he said.

"We are now hoping these posters will reach any local people or visitors to the area who may have missed the media appeal or perhaps give people an opportunity to have a closer and longer look at the items we want information about.

"Once again, I am appealing to the writer of the anonymous letter to contact me so we can get the extra information we need," he added.

Jonathan Jones was convicted for the murders in April 1995 but was later released by the Court of Appeal in April 1996.


More from south east Wales
See also:

05 Feb 03 | Wales
15 Feb 00 | Wales
10 May 01 | Wales
01 Nov 01 | Wales
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes