| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 11:36 GMT
Fresh appeal for Valentine attacker
Police have launched a poster campaign in an attempt to find the attacker of a young man left in a coma following a Wales football match last year.
Leon Adams, 25, has been in a coma for 12 months after being found unconscious at the entrance to Grangetown railway station in Cardiff in the early hours of Valentine's Day 2002. Officers distributed posters at the Wales versus Bosnia friendly match at the Millennium Stadium on Wednesday night in the hope of prompting a response to the unsolved crime.
He is being cared for at Morriston Hospital in Swansea, where his family visit him every day. Angela Murphy, Mr Adams's mother, spoke to BBC Wales about the ordeal her family has faced. "We cry most days," she said. "I don't suppose a day goes past when his family doesn't cry. "I was very, very, lively. He danced a lot, he liked computers, he drew. "He was a wonderful artist. "We go there and we see him, and he just lays there. Nothing, apart from coughing or being sick. "Every day it's the first thing I think of in the morning. "Somebody took my son and somebody know who it was.
Police have put in thousands of hours in an effort to detect the attacker, but the case is no closer to being solved. Mr Adams had been working in The Cottage pub in St Mary Street, Cardiff on the night of the attack, where he had worked for three months. He was spotted on CCTV walking down St Mary's Street just before 0200 GMT February 14, 2002, following the Wales-Argentina match. An appeal on Crimewatch for people seen in the area of Grangetown station that night to come forward proved unsuccessful. There is little information about what happened between the sighting of Mr Adams on camera and the time he was found unconscious just after 0500 GMT.
One of the posters has been placed in the entrance to Grangetown station, by the spot where he was discovered. DCI Graham Anthony, one of the officers involved in the investigation, said: "We need the community help in this one. "That's why we posted a reward of £20,000 to encourage people to come forward. "Somebody out there knows who has done the assault and I need that information." Anyone with information should contact the police incident room on 029 20 571530 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
|
See also:
17 Sep 02 | Wales
06 Jun 02 | Wales
05 Jun 02 | Wales
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |