BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 16:51 GMT
Asbestos appeal rejected
Alan Matthews
Alan Matthews says he was exposed to asbestos
A former sailor from Devon, who says his health was ruined by exposure to asbestos, has lost his case for compensation from the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

Alan Matthews, 65, from Exeter, said he was exposed to large quantities of asbestos dust while serving in the Royal Navy 40 years ago.

But five Law Lords refused to strip the MoD of the last vestiges of the Crown immunity, which protects it from being sued over injuries suffered decades ago.

Mr Matthews said he was "absolutely gutted" by the Lords' decision and his lawyers are now to take the case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

Legal documents
The High Court ruled for Mr Matthews in 2002
The 1947 Crown Proceedings Act barred lawsuits against the MoD over injuries sustained by services personnel, until it was repealed in 1987.

But the change was not applied retrospectively, meaning those injured before 1987 could not bring claims.

In January 2002, the High Court ruled this broke an individual's right to a fair hearing, part of the Human Rights Convention, when Mr Matthews first brought his case to court.

However, the verdict was overturned in the Court of Appeal three months later and the case was taken to the House of Lords, where it was again rejected.

Mr Matthews said of Thursday's verdict: "It's not about the rules, it's about justice, and we just haven't had it.

Asbestos dust

"I'm not going to throw in the towel. I always knew this was going to be a struggle, but the fight must go on.

"The livelihoods of too many people, including families and widows who have lost loved ones to the negligence of the armed forces, depend on the outcome of my case to give up now."

Four years ago, X-rays showed Mr Matthews' lungs had been affected by asbestos dust.

Mr Matthews believes this came from when he was exposed to the substance as an electrician in the Royal Navy between 1955 and 1968.


Click here to go to Devon
See also:

13 Feb 03 | England
29 May 02 | England
04 Mar 02 | UK
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes