BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 13 February, 2003, 13:42 GMT
Quarry could re-open
Teign Valley
Residents along the Teign Valley had raised concerns
A quarry on the edge of a Devon national park could re-open.

People from nine villages along the Teign Valley had opposed plans to re-open the Ryecroft Quarry on Dartmoor after work stopped there in the 1940s.

The Teign Valley Action Group told a public inquiry in October 2002 that people feared the tranquillity of the area would be destroyed by vehicle movements.

Ryecroft Quarry Limited has said it would keep lorry journeys in the area to a minimum.

Lorries fear

The public inquiry into the quarry centred around a 1949 planning permission that, if valid, would allow minerals to be extracted until 2042.

The inquiry, chaired by independent inspector John Whitcutt, said permission for work was valid.

The final decision will be taken by Devon County Council.

The protesters' main concern is the possibility that a series of 20-tonne lorries will be used to carry stone from the quarry along the Teign Valley to the A38.

They said the quarry had not been worked since planning approval was granted in the 1940s and that the permission had expired.

Their case was that Devon County Council should have listed the quarry as extinct - which would have meant it could not be re-opened.

'Disappointing decision'

The council ruled the site as "dormant", leaving the door open for it to be worked again.

Ryecroft Quarry Limited wants to re-open the site, which produces rock for road-building.

The company said minor works had been carried out at the quarry since 1949.

It said there could be 25 years worth of stone to work, although it would control lorry movements.

The Teign Valley Action Group said it was very disappointed by the decision.

Dartmoor National Park Authority has also registered concern about work re-starting at the quarry.

It says it will monitor lorry movements and the effect they have on the valley.


Click here to go to Devon
See also:

12 Feb 03 | England
28 Jan 03 | England
10 Oct 02 | England
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes