BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 12 February, 2003, 13:54 GMT
Uganda timber theft sparks ethnic clash
Lendu hunters
The Lendu use bows and arrows to fight
At least 13 people have been killed and more than 2,000 others forced to flee in ethnic clashes in north-western Uganda.

The fighting between the Lendu and Alur communities in Nebbi District was sparked off by the theft of timber and an ensuing revenge attack, police say.

Police authorities in the region have asked the government for reinforcements as "the conflicts in neighbouring DR Congo spill into Uganda", the daily New Vision reports.

Thousands of people have been killed in ethnic tensions in the region, mostly on the Congolese side of the border where the Lendu have been fighting with the rival Hema community.

Missing

Members of the Alur and Kebu communities razed half a dozen Lendu villages to the ground in the revenge attack near Nebbi town last Friday.

"Six villages were completely destroyed, hundreds of huts burnt, property looted and more than 2,000 people are without homes," Samson Onyai, Nebbi District police commander said.

"Police have so far counted 13 bodies. The number of dead could be more because more than 20 people are still unaccounted for," he said.

Scores of Alur men armed with spears, machetes and bows and arrows attacked Lendu homes after three members of the Alur community were gunned down by suspected Lendu men earlier on Friday.

The three had been witnesses to the theft of 25 pieces of timber by a Lendu, New Vision reports.

Aid needed

The man who had been charged with the theft and then released on bail, reportedly crossed into DR Congo where he organised his Lendu clansmen for a revenge attack, killing the three men.

The Alur then launched their counter revenge attack on Lendu-occupied villages. One of the dead was the sister of the man charged with stealing the timber.

Lendu pastoralist
Tension over land distribution has led to conflict

The north-western regional police commander, Geoffrey Erach, has asked the government to beef up security in the area.

Mr Erach also appealed to relief agencies to help those affected by the attacks. Several people were reportedly injured in the fighting.

He said police had restored order in the area.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Geoffrey Erach, police commander on Focus on Africa
"People are displaced, livestock looted, and the crops burnt"
See also:

11 Jun 02 | Africa
07 Feb 02 | Africa
24 Jan 02 | Africa
05 Jan 01 | Africa
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes