BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 12 February, 2003, 09:14 GMT
US condemns Sudan over attacks
The United States has condemned the Sudanese Government, which it says has violated the ceasefire signed last year with rebels in the south.

A State Department spokesman, Richard Boucher, said the US condemned what he described as "unconscionable attacks and abuses" against civilians in the Western Upper Nile region.

But he added that the Sudanese Government now seemed to be taking steps to adhere to the ceasefire accord.

The US spokesman was responding to a report by a US-led team of international monitors who detailed a number of attacks in southern Sudan in December and January, and the displacement of thousands of civilians.

From the Newsroom of the BBC World Service

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
John Prendergast of the ICG on Network Africa
"The fighting is some of the worst in the world"

Key stories

Background
See also:

04 Feb 03 | Africa
23 Jan 03 | Africa
02 Jan 03 | Africa
02 Dec 02 | Business
18 Nov 02 | Africa
25 Oct 02 | Africa
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes