| You are in: UK: Politics | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 30 January, 2003, 16:51 GMT
Unions' optimistic note over fire strike
The armed forces will be called on at the weekend
Union leaders have come out of a "constructive" meeting with Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott saying progress towards resolving the fire dispute is possible.
Firefighters resumed their duties at 0900 GMT on Thursday, but are due to start another 48-hour stoppage at the weekend. The temperature had been raised by what the firefighters and other unions said were suggestions by Mr Prescott that he would impose a deal to end the strike deadlock.
After the talks, also attended by union leaders including Bill Morris of the TGWU and Dave Prentis of Unison, Mr Barber said: "A number of ideas are beginning to emerge about ways of moving forward. "We hope we can move to a position where negotiations can resume." Negotiations between the FBU and the firefighters' local government employers have been impeded for some time by whether controversial modernisation proposals can be a pre-condition on all talks. 'Serious negotiation' Union officials said the government's plans to use legislation to end the strike - announced by Mr Prescott on Wednesday - had "added fuel to the fire". But although Mr Barber said he and his fellow leaders had voiced their concerns about the threat to impose a deal on the FBU, he hoped it would not become an issue if a settlement could be reached. Mr Prescott said at Thursday's Cabinet meeting that he hoped to get into the position of some "serious negotiation" leading to a settlement.
The spokesman said Mr Blair paid tribute to Mr Prescott's "excellent" handling of the dispute "and this was warmly endorsed by other members of the Cabinet". FBU leader Andy Gilchrist welcomed the meeting between Mr Prescott and the TUC, adding: "Anything that can help break the deadlock and allow serious and proper negotiations should be explored." Earlier Mr Gilchrist had sounded a defiant note, saying the message from FBU members remained "loud and clear" that they would not accept an imposed settlement. A spokesman for Mr Prescott's department said: "It was a useful meeting and we hope that the TUC can help get the parties back around the negotiating table." The latest strike saw Army personnel covering for the firefighters deal with 2,000 calls, during which six people died.
|
See also:
29 Jan 03 | Politics
29 Jan 03 | Scotland
28 Jan 03 | UK
28 Jan 03 | UK
21 Jan 03 | UK
23 Jan 03 | UK
28 Jan 03 | UK
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |