BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 30 January, 2003, 08:59 GMT
Organ baby families ask for apology
Melissa Shelton
Melissa Shelton runs a support group for parents
Thousands of parents whose dead children's organs were retained by hospitals should receive an apology and individual explanation, according to a lawyer.

Mervyn Fudge represents about 2,000 parents whose organs were kept.

Along with financial compensation from the NHS, Mr Fudge said parents want personal letters from the different health trusts.

He said: "That would go a long way to alleviating the stress.

Basically they'd stripped him of all of his organs and they had been stored in buckets

Melissa Shelton

"You can never compensate the families for what has happened.

"The stress they have suffered is appalling."

Among the parents is Melissa Shelton, from Hucknall, whose baby son Taylor died two days after he was born from a blood disorder.

Ms Shelton investigated Taylor's fate after hearing of the organ retention scandal at Liverpool's Alder Hey Children's Hospital.

She contacted the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham and learned Taylor's organs were also kept.

Taylor Shelton
Taylor Shelton died from a blood disorder

"They did tell us that basically they'd stripped him of all of his organs and they had been stored in buckets at the hospital," she said.

"When they told me what they had, it was horrendous."

Ms Shelton now runs a support group for bereaved parents like her in the Nottingham area.

She says she is pursuing the case in memory of her dead son.

"You bury your child and that's bad enough, but then you have to do it again... it shouldn't have happened."

A judge in Nottingham is due to decide on Thursday when Ms Shelton's compensation case will be heard.


Click here to go to Nottingham
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes