BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Thursday, 30 January, 2003, 10:09 GMT
'Bomb plotters' arrested in Kabul
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) patrol during snowfall in Kabul 26 January 2003
There have been attacks on international targets
US and Afghan forces have arrested three men in Kabul said to be plotting bomb attacks there.

A US military spokesman said the men, detained in an overnight raid in the capital, had explosives and bomb-making equipment.

In south-eastern Afghanistan, US forces are continuing a major operation against rebel fighters believed to members of the Taleban.

There are fears that a US-led attack on Iraq could prompt opponents of international troops in Afghanistan to launch an offensive against foreign forces stationed there.

Foreign targets

US military spokesman Colonel Roger King says it is not clear whether the three men arrested in Kabul belonged to any particular rebel group.

But their intention was clear.

Gulbuddin Hekmatyar
Warlord Hekmatyar - linked to rebel fighters
"They were trying to blow up a US or coalition facility in Kabul with a bomb," Colonel King said.

The arrests were carried out by Afghan intelligence agents along with US marines and special forces troops stationed at the US embassy, he said.

There have been a number of attacks on international groups in Afghanistan in recent weeks.

On Wednesday, US special forces detained two men near the eastern town of Jalalabad. They were found with bomb-making materials.

In December, two US soldiers and their translator were injured when a hand grenade was thrown at their vehicle as they drove through Kabul.

Earlier this week the United Nations refugee agency suspended aid work in parts of eastern Afghanistan after two of its security staff guarding a convoy were killed.

Military base?

Meanwhile, hundreds of US special forces are still scouring a network of mountain caves near the town of Spin Boldak, close to the Pakistan border.

As many as 18 rebel fighters are believed to have died in the fighting there which began on Monday.

Colonel King told reporters several caves had now been searched.

"It's a place where [rebels] have been operating.. It's a place which could have been used as a base."

The rebels "may have moved to other caves to escape us or may have moved off the mountain", he said.

Colonel King also said the US still believes the rebels are linked to the Afghan warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who has called for foreign forces to be driven out of Afghanistan.

The BBC's Rahimullah Yusufzai in Peshawar says the rebels are members of the Taleban, which has been gaining in confidence and regrouping recently.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Kylie Morris
"Hundreds of American special forces remain on the ground"

Rebuilding

Political uncertainty

Profiles

Issues

FACT FILE

IN DEPTH

FORUM

TALKING POINT
See also:

28 Jan 03 | South Asia
29 Jan 03 | South Asia
03 Dec 02 | South Asia
27 Jan 03 | South Asia
21 Dec 02 | South Asia
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes