BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
 Wednesday, 29 January, 2003, 17:43 GMT
Ceasefire declared in Nepal
Smoke rises from destroyed district police headquarters in Mangalsen, Nepal
The war has left much of the kingdom in tatters
Maoist rebels in Nepal and the government have both announced a ceasefire.

A statement by the rebel leader, Prachanda, said the ceasefire would take immediate effect and that the rebels were ready for peace talks.

Both sides have announced a ceasefire - the peace process will begin immediately

Planning and Works Minister Narayan Singh Pun
Shortly afterwards, the Nepalese Government said it would also observe a suspension of hostilities after nearly seven years of fighting that has left more than 7,000 people dead.

A government minister has been appointed to mediate with the rebels.

Conditions

The statement from the Maoists was faxed to news organisations in the capital, Kathmandu.

Guerrillas on parade
The rebels have proved highly elusive
It comes after nearly 24 hours of speculation and rumours about a pending ceasefire.

In his message, Comrade Prachanda said the Maoists had agreed to observe a ceasefire after talks with the government, and had called upon distant rebel units to be aware of this.

A dialogue would begin soon, the statement said, and the government had precipitated the move by agreeing to three conditions:

  • To stop calling the Maoists terrorists
  • To lift rewards offered for their arrest
  • To withdraw international police warrants issued for the rebel leaders

The Maoist leader also reasserted his group's demands for constitutional changes in Nepal. However, he made no mention of the rebels' long-standing demand for the abolition of the monarchy.

The BBC's Daniel Lak in Kathmandu says the government concessions appear to amount to less that what the rebels have in the past demanded. But it is thought the government has also given some ground as well.

Peace hopes

For the government, Planning and Works Minister Narayan Singh Pun welcomed the move, and said a more detailed response would be given shortly.

A government statement said Mr Pun would lead a negotiating team that would begin talks with the rebels as soon as possible.

Peace talks in 2,001 collapsed in acrimony and more violence when the Maoists walked out.

Since then, there have been more than 4,000 deaths in intense fighting in rural areas of the country.

Casualties soared after the army entered the fray just over a year ago.

Our correspondent says military pressure may have added to the Maoist decision to come to the negotiating table, but neither side looked likely to win outright any time soon.

Nonetheless, the long suffering people of Nepal, with their security and economy in ruins, will be desperately hoping that peace is now possible in their country.

  WATCH/LISTEN
  ON THIS STORY
  The BBC's Daniel Lak in Kathmandu
"Both sides are going to start a dialogue"
Background to Nepal's Maoist war

Analysis

Eyewitness

Background:

BBC NEPALI SERVICE
See also:

29 Jan 03 | South Asia
10 Jan 03 | South Asia
17 Dec 02 | South Asia
11 Oct 02 | Country profiles
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes