| You are in: UK: England | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 29 January, 2003, 12:32 GMT
Legal fight over care home closure
The average age of residents at Watling House is 92
Villagers in County Durham say they will go to court to save a threatened care home from closure.
More than 1,000 people at Leadgate, near Consett, have signed a petition calling for Watling House to stay open. Social service bosses are already reeling from one legal challenge against the closure of an old people's home in the county. Earlier this month the county's care home closure plans were thrown into disarray by 89-year-old Lavinia Worley, whose son Bernard took the authority to the High Court over plan to close the Stoneleigh care home in Barnard Castle.
The judge ordered a judicial review of the case, saying that it was "arguable" that social services had failed to consider Mrs Worley's rights and respect for her home and family life. Now relatives of 40 people living Watling House, who have an average age of 92, claim its closure will be an infringement of their human rights. Retired council worker John Kay, 96, has lived at Watling House for three years. His daughter and son-in-law Patricia and Jimmy Edwards, say they are ready to follow the example of the Stoneleigh campaigners. Watling House is one of 16 county council run care homes earmarked for closure in a scheme to build six new "extra care" homes in their place, including one in Consett. Court action Mr Edwards, 55, said: "The building is just 30 years old, my father-in-law is very comfortable there and the staff are great, so why should they pull it down? "There is always something going on there, the residents can play music, sit and read or just have a nap. John has a TV in his room." The pressure group Residents Action Group for the Elderly (Rage), which backed the court action to prevent the closure of Stoneleigh, has agreed to take up the case on behalf of Mr Kay and his fellow residents at Watling House. A spokesman for Durham County Council said: "The closure of this home is an integral part of our multi-million pound programme to modernise and improve services for older people in Derwentside and throughout County Durham. "We are surprised at the relatives of Mr Kay considering this legal action now, considering the decision to close Watling House was revealed in 2001."
|
See also:
01 Jan 03 | England
21 Dec 02 | Health
04 Dec 02 | Health
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top England stories now:
Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more England stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |