| You are in: Asia-Pacific | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 29 January, 2003, 12:03 GMT
Muslim cleric linked to Bali bombing
Abu Bakar Ba'asyir runs a religious boarding school
Indonesian police have made the strongest link so far between Abu Bakar Ba'asyir, the suspected spiritual leader of regional militant group Jemaah Islamiah (JI), and the Bali bomb attacks in October.
Mr Ba'asyir is not currently a suspect "but things will definitely head in that direction," Zainuri Lubis, spokesman for the Bali bombing investigative team, said on Wednesday.
Colonel Lubis said the Muslim cleric was likely to be charged in connection with the Bali attacks, but not before he is tried or released over two separate charges on which he is currently being detained. Mr Ba'asyir, a 64-year-old cleric who runs a religious boarding school on Java island, has repeatedly denied any involvement in terrorism or being a member of JI. His lawyer, Muhammad Assegaf, criticised the police for making the allegations. "During the investigation of all the Bali suspects there has not been the smallest bit of information from the police that links Abu Bakar Bashir," he said. Statements from the Indonesian police show they are increasingly linking JI and Mr Ba'asyir with the Bali attacks, which killed nearly 200 people, mostly foreign tourists. On Tuesday, police chief General Da'i Bachtiar said Mr Ba'asyir had given his "blessing" to the operation. He also formally blamed JI for the attacks for the first time. Other charges Mr Ba'asyir has been in police custody since October 2002. Last week detectives said they wanted him to face charges of treason, for an alleged plot to kill Megawati Sukarnoputri when she was still the country's vice president.
Mr Lubis said that because Mr Ba'asyir was already being investigated in Jakarta in relation to these two charges, police have not yet been able to question him about the Bali bombings. But 30 other suspects are already in custody for the Bali attacks, including Mukhlas, who police say is JI's operations chief and was involved in planning the operation. The first court case could be held as early as next month. General Da'i Bachtiar told Indonesia's parliament on Tuesday that JI leaders had decided to attack the holiday island as part of a plan to hit US interests in Indonesia and Singapore. The decision to target US operations was made at a meeting in Bangkok last February, Mr Bachtiar said. The US and other governments have linked JI with Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.
|
See also:
18 Oct 02 | Asia-Pacific
14 Jan 03 | Asia-Pacific
23 Dec 02 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |