| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 29 January, 2003, 07:03 GMT
Firefighters refuse to respond to calls
Striking Cardiff firefighters on their picket line
Firefighters in Merthyr Tydfil have signalled they will not respond to even the most serious blazes in their area as the latest 48-hour fire strike continues.
After a brief protest outside the nearby council offices in the town, they abandoned their picket line completely because they did not want to be a "safety net" for stand-in military crews.
The move came after Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott announced that emergency laws were to be introduced allowing the UK Government to control the fire service and impose pay and conditions. Plaid Cymru MP for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr, Adam Price, has called the proposed legislation "draconian". This fourth dispute follows two days of talks with employers at the conciliation service Acas. Members of the Fire Brigades Union in south Wales had agreed on Monday night to continue their picket, but had said they would only turn out to deal with an incident in the event of a disaster. FBU secretary for south Wales Clive Protheroe said staff had wanted to be able to respond to the government's move over legislation - which the FBU general secretary Andy Gilchrist said was "no surprise".
Mr Protheroe said: "Last night they felt that whilst they were on the picket line they would still be expected to respond to fire calls. "The public would still be relying on them and they would just be a safety net for the army. "I suspect their thinking is that if they have left the picket line, they cannot be contacted." Firefighters across Wales decided to picket their stations, but not to turn out if there was a fire, except in the case of a dire emergency. During last week's industrial action, crews voted not to respond to life-threatening fires. Rescue Overnight, two people were rescued by police from a house fire in Haverfordwest. The blaze broke out at 2240 GMT and police found two people who were unconscious in the smoke-filled house. They were taken to the town's Withybush Hospital and treated for the effects of smoke inhalation but they are reported to be not in a serious condition. A Red Goddess also attended and put the fire out. A fifth firefighters' strike, also for 48 hours, is due to start on Saturday. Stoppage During the last 24-hour stoppage, military crews in Wales were called to a total of 35 incidents, none of them serious. Last week, firefighters in south west Wales voted for an all-out, indefinite strike - despite the fact it was illegal. The FBU said the decision on whether or not to respond to calls was down to members on the ground. South Wales Fire Service has warned firefighters by letter that any fire responses made while on strike raise problems with health and safety and insurance. Local authority employers have stood firm on a pay offer of 4%, rising to 11% over two years. The union maintains 4,500 jobs will be axed and 150 fire stations closed if the recommendations are accepted.
|
See also:
28 Jan 03 | UK
22 Jan 03 | Wales
21 Jan 03 | UK
21 Jan 03 | UK
11 Jan 03 | Wales
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |