BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 28 January, 2003, 15:44 GMT
Demolition of Bangkok bars condemned
Shop owners salvaging their possessions
Dozens of shops and restaurants were flattened
Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has vowed to punish those responsible for destroying dozens of shops and bars in central Bangkok over the weekend.

On a trip to visit workers and residents affected by the destruction, Mr Thaksin condemned the "mafia"-like tactics of the estimated 200 men involved in the incident.

The incident will clearly affect our image because we have been campaigning that Thailand is a safe place

Tourism minister Sonthaya Khunploem
Armed with heavy demolition equipment, the men razed up to 60 buildings in the busy market area of Sukhumvit Square during the early hours of Sunday morning.

Witnesses said residents were only given a few minutes' notice to leave the area, and many were left with few possessions other than the clothes they were wearing.

The incident was apparently sparked by a private dispute over real estate, but Mr Thaksin promised to bring the perpetrators to justice, "no matter who is behind it".

Fears for tourism

Tourism Minister Sonthaya Khunploem said the incident required decisive action by the government.

"The incident will clearly affect our image because we have been campaigning that Thailand is a safe place," said Mr Sonthaya.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra
Mr Thaksin visited the area to console the victims
More than 130 people have been arrested so far, including five members of the military, according to the French news agency AFP.

Mr Thaksin is said to have instructed Defence Minister Thamarak Issarangkul Na Ayutthaya to prosecute any military personnel involved.

"If an investigation finds any high-ranking military officials were involved they will be dismissed and have their military rank withdrawn," Mr Thamarak told reporters on Tuesday.

'Bad day for Thailand'

The company which owns the land razed on Sunday had reportedly been presented with an eviction notice by another firm a short time ago.

I've got to stop and think whether I want to do business in Thailand

Bar owner Alex Biggart
Thailand's legal system is ill-equipped to deal with private real estate disputes, correspondents say.

Arson attacks have previously been used as a way of evicting people in less high-profile areas, and the perpetrators have rarely been caught.

The Scottish owner of Tipplers' Tavern, one of the bars razed in the incident, described it as "a very bad day for Thailand".

"This is what they do to people who invest in small business," said Alex Biggart.

"A lot of people spent their life savings on these, and lost them. I've got to stop and think whether I want to do business in Thailand."

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes