BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
 Tuesday, 28 January, 2003, 09:54 GMT
Key rebel post for 'Kabila killer'
Laurent Kabila with Congolese troops
Kabila was allegedly shot by a bodyguard

The Congolese Rally for Democracy (RCD) rebel group has just named a new governor for its important eastern province of South Kivu.

Normally that would not be of much interest to the government and people in the capital, Kinshasa, but the man who has just been named is a wanted man.

DR CONGO'S WAR
Four years
Seven foreign armies
At least 2 million dead
Disease and abuses widespread
New rebel governor Xavier Chiribanya Chirimwami was condemned to death by Kinshasa's military court on 7 January for his role in the assassination two years ago of President Laurent Kabila.

Twenty-nine others, including Mr Kabila's aide de campe Eddy Kapend, also received the death penalty.

Ten of them, including Mr Chirimwami, were tried and condemned in absentia.

Kinshasa's interim attorney general said on Monday that he had sent a warrant for the arrest of Mr Chirimwami to the state prosecutor in Bukavu, regardless of the fact that Bukavu is under rebel control.

Adolphe Onusumba, president of the RCD said there was no proof Mr Chirimwami was involved in Mr Kabila's death and that in any case the rebels do not answer to the government.

Mulegwa Zihindula, spokesman for President Joseph Kabila said the nomination of the condemned man to the important job of governing south Kivu was a sign the RCD wanted to derail the peace process.

Chicken and rice

Meanwhile in Kinshasa there has been good and bad news for the other people involved in the Kabila murder trial.

President Joseph Kabila
Laurent Kabila's son Joseph took over as leader
The wives of the men on death row in Makala Prison say that since Saturday they have been banned from visiting and bringing food and medicines to their husbands.

They say the order came from the presidency and fear the men might be killed in secret.

However Joseph Kabila, marking his second year in power on Sunday, freed two men from the prison.

Lawyer Willy Wenga and rights activist N'sii Luanda spent most of last year behind bars without ever being formally charged.

N'sii Luanda, who twice went on hunger strike to receive medical treatment yesterday announced he had enjoyed his first meal in freedom - a large plate of chicken and rice.

  WATCH/LISTEN
  ON THIS STORY
  The BBC's Mark Dummett
"Twenty-six people have been sentenced to death for the assassination"

Key stories

Background

TALKING POINT
See also:

09 Jan 03 | Africa
15 Mar 02 | Africa
16 Jan 02 | Africa
20 Dec 01 | Africa
16 Jan 02 | Africa
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes