BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Tuesday, 28 January, 2003, 09:04 GMT
Fourth fire strike gets under way
Fire station
Firefighters have started a 24-hour walk-out
Firefighters across Wales have left their posts with the start of the fourth round of strikes.

The strike, which began on Tuesday at 0900 GMT, follows two days of talks with employers at the conciliation service Acas last week, which aimed to resolve the pay dispute.

Firefighters on strike
Many firefighters are expected not to picket

Firefighters in south Wales decided to picket their stations, but not to turn out if there was a fire, except in a dire emergency.

During last week's industrial action, crews voted not to respond to life-threatening fires.

A fifth strike, also for 48 hours, is due to start on Saturday.

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott said the latest action will cost UK taxpayers £6m.

He said regeneration budgets, designed to help the most vulnerable in society, will have to be raided to meet the cost of providing a response.

During the last stoppage, over 24 hours, military crews in Wales were called to a total of 35 incidents, none of them serious.

Last week, firefighters in south west Wales voted for an all-out, indefinite strike, despite the fact it is illegal.

Fire Brigades Union members at Morriston in Swansea have begun canvassing nationally for support for their position.

The Fire Brigades Union said the decision on whether or not to respond to calls was down to members on the ground.

South Wales Fire Service has warned firefighters by letter that any fire responses made while on strike raise problems with health and safety and insurance.

Local authority employers have stood firm on a pay offer of 4%, rising to 11% over two years.

The Fire Brigades' Union maintains 4,500 jobs will be axed and 150 fire stations closed if the recommendations are accepted.

See also:

22 Jan 03 | Wales
11 Jan 03 | Wales
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes