| You are in: UK: N Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 28 January, 2003, 14:29 GMT
Firefighters angry at direct control plan
Last week firefighters walked out for 24 hours
Firefighters in Northern Ireland have responded angrily to the deputy prime minister's move to impose a settlement to end their dispute.
About 2,000 firefighters across the province once again joined picket lines at the start of a 48-hour strike at 0900 GMT on Tuesday. John Prescott told MPs that he was planning to introduce legislation to take direct government control of the fire service. However, union representatives for Northern Ireland accused Mr Prescott of trying to return industrial relations to the dark ages.
The strike follows two days of talks with employers at the conciliation service Acas last week, which were aimed at resolving the dispute over pay. This is the fourth time firefighters have taken strike action in the dispute - but the union is still determined despite the fact that some officers have now lost up to £2,000 in pay.
Northern Ireland Fire Brigades Union representative Jim Quinn said morale was still quite high among the firefighters. "People are still determined to get a fair wage for the professional job we do, however we are angry and frustrated at the way we are being treated by the government," he said. Deadlock "It is not right and it is despicable treatment by a government who seem determined to cause trouble. "We are asking for nothing more and nothing less than fair pay and we are determined to get that fair pay whatever it takes. "However, we would prefer to sit around a table and talk about this rather than fight and be on strike out on the streets." With talks between the two sides in deadlock, there is still no sign of an end to this dispute. Tuesday's strike will be followed by a further 48-hour walk-out on Saturday.
On Monday, Mr Prescott condemned the strike which he said would cost the taxpayer £6m and would have to be taken from regeneration budgets designed to help the most vulnerable in society.
The decision to strike dampened a sense of optimism that emerged last week, when FBU leader Andy Gilchrist said there was "every chance" further strikes could be called off.
Local authority employers are still pushing a review of the service by Sir George Bain as the basis of any settlement. The FBU believes accepting the employers' proposals will cost 4,500 jobs and shut 150 fire stations. Ministers insist the firefighting force can be slimmed down through "natural wastage" from the service.
A White Paper expected in the spring could suggest merging emergency control rooms, which is bitterly opposed by the union. The FBU wants a 40% rise to boost firefighters' annual salaries from £21,500 to £30,000. Employers have stood firm on a 4% pay offer, rising to 11% over two years. The local authorities and the government say anything more must be funded by reform. |
See also:
21 Jan 03 | UK
21 Jan 03 | UK
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top N Ireland stories now:
Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more N Ireland stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |