BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Wednesday, 8 January, 2003, 17:47 GMT
Deal expected on steel plant takeover
Allied Steel and Wire at Tremorfa, Cardiff
Spanish steel firm Celsa wants ASW's Castle site
The deal which could save hundreds of jobs at a south Wales steel plant is expected to be signed on Thursday.

Former workers at the Allied Steel and Wire Plant in Cardiff are waiting to learn if the proposed takeover by the Spanish firm Celsa is to go ahead.

ASW specialised in wire products
ASW specialised in wire products

The 800-strong workforce lost their jobs in July last year when ASW announced it was closing its Cardiff sites.

The firm's receivers, KPMG, announced in November 2002, that it was in talks for the Barcelona-based company to take on the plant from this month.

Up to 600 former ASW employees stand to return to their old jobs if the contract is signed on Thursday as predicted.

But it is unlikely to help any of the former workers with the other aspect of ASW's closure - their loss of pension fund cash.

After news last July of the steel plant's closure, it emerged staff would receive only a small percentage of their company final salary pension scheme due to a shortfall in the fund.

Negotiations

ASW has been administered by KPMG since it announced it was to close its adjoining Tremorfa and Castle works in Cardiff Bay.

KPMG was involved in weeks of secret negotiations with Celsa about its desire to take over the plant.

The Spanish firm said the Castle site was "critical" to its bid and called for help from Cardiff council, the Environment Agency and other interested parties to secure a deal.

On Wednesday, a senior Cardiff councillor welcomed reports that Celsa had finally reached an agreement on the issue.

Cabinet Member Marion Drake said: "The closure of the ASW plant was a serious and bitter blow to the Cardiff economy and the ex-ASW staff.

"I am pleased that the significant efforts made by a wide range of Welsh organisations have helped secure the sale of the company as a going concern."

  WATCH/LISTEN
  ON THIS STORY
  BBC Wales Business Editor Gareth Jones
"It's thought Celsa will neet to recruit around 600 workers, although that's yet to be confirmed."

More from south east Wales
See also:

11 Nov 02 | Wales
01 Aug 02 | Wales
24 Jul 02 | Wales
10 Jul 02 | Wales
28 May 01 | Wales
19 Apr 01 | Wales
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes