BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Wednesday, 8 January, 2003, 15:45 GMT
Train buffs to fight development rejection
Proposed storage site on the former Denbigh to Mold line
Hundreds of items of memorabilia would be on display
Train enthusiasts in Denbighshire have vowed to fight a council decision to reject their plans to develop an old railway line.

Members of a local railway heritage trust wanted to display hundreds of items of memorabilia in two carriages at a site on the former Denbigh to Mold line.

As a group we are fed up of being pushed around and we are determined to fight to try and develop this old railway site

Richard Thornton from the heritage trust

However, the application to use the land to store railway artefacts and related items has been refused by Denbighshire council planners.

The decision followed a number of complaints from community council members and people living near the site.

Concerns had been raised over the visual impact of the plans on the area which has been deemed an area of outstanding natural beauty.

The issue of noise and disturbance to nearby residents had also been cited as a possible problem.

Llangollen railway yard
Llangollen railway is a popular tourist attraction

Richard Thornton from the heritage trust said: "Members of the trust feel very let down by the council.

"We don't know why they have changed their minds because up until December we thought we had their full support.

"All of the memorabilia we want to put on display are being stored in people's sheds and attics at the moment.

"We have got Llangollen Railway in the south of the county, which is wonderful, but we don't have anything in the north," he said.

Some members of the group have been collecting railway artefacts for more than 25 years and are keen to have somewhere public to display their material.

Mr Thornton said: "As a group we are fed up of being pushed around and we are determined to fight to try and develop this old railway site."

In rejecting the proposals the council report stated: "The use is considered unacceptable for reasons relating to adverse impact on the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty landscape and highway safety."


More from north east Wales
See also:

18 Oct 02 | Wales
19 Mar 02 | Wales
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes