| You are in: UK: Politics | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 8 January, 2003, 17:28 GMT
Blair denies Iraq split jibe
Tornadoes are taking part in the Gulf exercise
Tony Blair has dismissed Conservative claims that UK troops are only "half-prepared" for war with Iraq because of mixed messages from the cabinet.
Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said the prime minister could not expect to convince the public of the need for action against Iraq if he could not persuade his cabinet.
The pair clashed during prime minister's question time, which was being held at noon for the first time. Insisting his ministers were united, Mr Blair warned the UK would "rue the consequences" of failing to deal with Saddam Hussein's alleged weapons of mass destruction. His words came as the Ministry of Defence confirmed a formation of 14 RAF jet fighters will go to the Middle East later this month. The squadron-strength group is taking part in a long-planned exercise, but the deployment will be seen as part of the build-up for possible war against Saddam Hussein's regime. In the Commons, the Tories pounced on a public disagreement between Foreign Secretary Jack Straw and Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon. Earlier this week, Mr Straw said the chances of war were 60-40 against, although he stressed the situation was constantly changing. Those comments sparked a barbed response from Mr Hoon, who called them "unhelpful", leading to opposition accusations of a "turf war" between the two men.
In the Commons, Mr Duncan Smith asked the prime minister who was right. "Our armed forces, whose lives might be at risk are entitled to a clear lead from the government," he said. Mr Blair sidestepped the question of the odds for war, saying it was Saddam Hussein who had to choose whether to disarm peacefully or face force. "What is 100% is that Saddam Hussein must be disarmed of weapons of mass destruction," he said.
The prime minister rejected Mr Duncan Smith's suggestion troops were only "half-prepared" for war. He denied too a Liberal Democrat MP's suggestion he was engaged in "dangerous brinkmanship". Mr Blair also delivered a stark warning that the dangers of weapons of mass destruction and international terrorism were the key security threats facing the UK. "It is only a matter of time before these two issues coming together," said Mr Blair.
Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy asked whether there were any circumstances in which the UK would not support an American attack on Iraq - even without a new UN mandate. Mr Blair only said that the UN resolution demanding Iraq's disarmament had to be enforced if there was a breach. Some ministers have expressed hopes for a second UN resolution, but that was not something mentioned by Mr Blair. Later, veteran anti-war Labour MP Tam Dalyell demanded a Commons debate on Iraq, saying troops were entitled to know they had the full backing of their countrymen. His request was, however, rejected by Commons Speaker Michael Martin, despite signs of unease on Labour's back benches about the prospect of war.
Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon, who was visiting Turkey on Wednesday, spoke of working together towards a peaceful outcome to the current crisis. announced on Tuesday that the UK was calling up more than 1,000 army reservists.
A "significant" amphibious task force was also being prepared, Mr Hoon told MPs.
The group for the aircraft exercise in Jordan includes six Tornado F3s, four Jaguars and four Harrier GR7s. The 12-day aircraft exercise will give the jets the chance to practice against Jordan's Mirage fighters, which are similar to those used by Iraq. MoD officials were keen to calm speculation about the trip, saying it was a long-standing commitment. "We have taken part in these exercises for the last 10 years," added a spokesman.
Troops are apparently concerned about the safety of the anthrax vaccines being given to troops being deployed in the Gulf. Ministers insist the vaccine is safe and that nobody will be forced to have it against their will.
|
See also:
08 Jan 03 | Health
07 Jan 03 | Politics
07 Jan 03 | Politics
07 Jan 03 | Middle East
06 Jan 03 | UK
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |