BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
 Tuesday, 7 January, 2003, 15:27 GMT
Indonesia warning downgraded
Bali beach
Bali has suffered financially since the tourist ban
The Foreign Office has downgraded its warning against travel to Indonesia.

In the light of fresh intelligence, initial advice introduced after the bombing of a nightclub in Bali has been revised.

More than 190 people, including 26 Britons, died in the atrocity on 12 October.

Since then, the FO had been advising against all visits to the area, but it is now saying that travellers need avoid non-essential visits only.

In a statement, the FO said that Britons in Indonesia still faced a "high" risk of terrorism and future attacks could not be ruled out.

Still under threat
Nightclubs and bars
Restaurants
Shopping malls
Places of worship
British businesses
The statement said: "We continue to assess that the threat to British nationals and British interests from terrorism throughout Indonesia remains high and that British nationals already in Indonesia should consider leaving if their presence is not essential.

"The decision to change the advice was taken after careful consideration of the latest information, including intelligence.

"We keep in close touch with partners. The change also brings us in line with the latest advice from the Australian government.

"The terrorist threat in Indonesia remains real and further attacks cannot be ruled out. But account has also been taken of the strengthened Indonesian commitment and actions since Bali to confront the terrorists."

Warnings 'weak'

The FO was last month criticised by Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee for failing to give strong enough warnings about travel to Indonesia in the run-up to the Bali attack.

The situation in Bali has now "stabilised", the FO is advising, but "there remains a significant risk for visitors of further attacks, as elsewhere in Indonesia".

"British nationals who choose to remain in Indonesia should exercise extreme caution in public places, in particular places of entertainment such as nightclubs, bars, restaurants, shopping malls, outdoor recreational areas and places of worship," said the advice.

"British nationals should be particularly careful throughout Java and Bali and in cultural and tourist locations in other islands.

"All British institutions and businesses should keep their security arrangements tight, and under very regular review."


Key stories

Eyewitness

Background

TALKING POINT

AUDIO VIDEO
See also:

30 Nov 02 | Africa
12 Dec 02 | Asia-Pacific
11 Dec 02 | Asia-Pacific
08 Nov 02 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes