BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Monday, 6 January, 2003, 14:52 GMT
Fraud inquiry under way at council
Flintshire County Council
Flintshire County Council was informed of the inquiry
An investigation into allegations of fraud at Flintshire County Council has been launched by senior officers from North Wales Police.

The local authority has confirmed it has been informed of the police's decision to conduct a detailed inquiry.

Andy Sutton won his case against the council
Andy Sutton won his case against the council

Although the precise nature of the investigation has not been revealed, a police spokeswoman said the inquiry would be "focused upon a very limited number of aspects of business".

Last year, the council suffered a series of allegations from one of its former internal auditors Andy Sutton.

Mr Sutton won his case of constructive dismissal against the council, but the authority is hoping to appeal against the decision.

At an industrial tribunal in Shrewsbury, it was ruled that Mr Sutton had been blocked in his attempts to uncover the truth about scandals within the Flintshire authority.

The tribunal criticised the authority's chief executive Phillip McGreevy, the county secretary Andrew Loveridge and another senior officer Kerry Parry.

'Total co-operation'

In the latest investigation, Philip McGreevy, Flintshire's chief executive said he had been kept well informed of North Wales Police's intentions.

"I can confirm that, before Christmas, I was contacted by the Deputy Chief Constable," he said.

"He advised me that the North Wales Police will be conducting a detailed investigation into matters that have been raised with them.

"I have spoken with, and subsequently written, to the Deputy Chief Constable confirming that total co-operation will be given.

"Access to all documents and material will be made readily available to assist the investigation," he said.

The North Wales Police spokeswoman said the investigation was expected to take a number of months to complete.


More from north east Wales
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes