| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 6 January, 2003, 15:36 GMT
Young offenders' unit plan considered
Young offenders would be housed in the unit
Plans to build a secure training unit for young offenders are being considered for Glynneath in south Wales.
The facility, which could house 80 to 100 beds, would be the first of its kind in Wales.
Local politicians are urging people from the community to put forward their views about the project. Councillor Del Morgan, a Plaid Cymru member, said some residents had already voiced some concerns ahead of any potential planning application. Councillors are due to be briefed about the plans by the Youth Justice Board on Wednesday 8 January. Cllr Morgan said information about the scheme, which would house 14-17 years olds, had surfaced in the last couple of days. "I can say there is a potentially massive project on the table for the Glynneath area," he said. "We want people to be aware of it and aware of its significance. "It means that, should this proposal go ahead, the land at the gateway of Glynneath would be dominated by a massive secure complex," he added. New jobs A spokeswoman for the Youth Justice Board confirmed that a site in Glynneath was being looked at for a secure training unit for young offenders.
She said the scheme would see new jobs, involved in housing, educating and training the youngsters, coming to the area. Cllr Morgan said he wanted to see all individuals, groups and political organisations having their say by giving their views to councillors. "It is imperative that the whole of the community has an opportunity to comment and if necessary object to this proposal," he said. Cllr Morgan added that the area had been originally been reserved for retail or small business development. Talks needed A spokeswoman for the Youth Justice Board confirmed it was looking at a site in Glynneath to build a secure training unit for young offenders. She said the scheme was just a proposal at this stage and further talks with Neath Port Talbot Council were needed. The spokeswoman said there was no existing secure unit in Wales and the Youth Justice Board has a policy of trying to house young offenders within 50 miles of their home and family. Ken Sawyers, chief executive at Neath Port Talbot Council, said the authority has been made aware of the Youth Justice Board's interest and had asked for a briefing. "Any proposal, if it proceeds, will be subject to normal planning procedures so that everyone can have an opportunity of making their views known," he added.
|
See also:
09 Oct 02 | UK
08 Aug 02 | England
05 Jul 02 | Wales
16 Sep 02 | Cracking Crime
05 Nov 01 | England
23 Aug 01 | UK
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |