BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
 Monday, 6 January, 2003, 12:09 GMT
Pakistan bomb suspect remanded
Pakistani police with covered suspect Asif Zaheer
Zaheer (covered) was remanded for identification
A Pakistani militant suspected of involvement in a deadly car bomb attack has been remanded in custody for another week.

A court in Karachi extended the detention of Asif Zaheer until at least 13 January to allow witnesses to take part in identification.

Man helped from Sheraton bomb attack
The Sheraton attack killed 11 French engineers
The car bomb ripped apart a Pakistani navy bus outside the Sheraton hotel on 8 May last year, killing 14 people, including 11 French engineers.

Zaheer, 28, was arrested last month on suspicion of planning to ram an explosives-laden car into a US diplomatic vehicle in Karachi.

Regret

Police say he has confessed to planting explosives in the Sheraton car bomb attack, although he has not yet been charged.

He is the only person to have been arrested in connection with the killings.

Zaheer reportedly told police he received training at a camp of the extremist group, Harkatul Jihad-e-Islami, in Afghanistan.

He reportedly said he was determined to punish Americans for their military actions in Afghanistan.

An investigator said that during interrogation Zaheer admitted he had mistaken the Frenchmen for Americans and regretted killing "friends of Pakistan''.

The engineers were helping Pakistan's navy build an Agosta 90-B submarine.

On the court extension, public prosecutor Habib Ahmed said: ''Police need to conduct further inquiries and certain witnesses who are not available in Karachi need to identify the accused, that's why they sought prolonged remand.''

It was the second time in two weeks that the court had granted such a request.

Under Pakistan's anti-terrorism law, a suspect can be held for a year without being charged.

Musharraf's Pakistan

Democracy challenge

Militant threat

Background

TALKING POINT

FROM THE ARCHIVES

BBC WORLD SERVICE
See also:

28 Dec 02 | South Asia
16 Dec 02 | South Asia
05 Dec 02 | South Asia
24 Jul 02 | South Asia
14 Jun 02 | South Asia
29 Jun 02 | South Asia
08 May 02 | South Asia
14 Sep 02 | South Asia
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes