BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Russian Polish Albanian Greek Czech Ukrainian Serbian Turkish Romanian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: Europe  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
 Monday, 6 January, 2003, 11:34 GMT
France boosts oil battle
Clean-up workers at Cap Ferret
About 1,000 people are involved in the clean-up
France is stepping up its fight against oil slicks from the sunken tanker, Prestige, a day after oysters were banned from the Arcachon basin, near Bordeaux.

The goal is to contain the oil before it hits land

Aquitaine regional government officer, Christian Fremont
An armada of vessels from various European countries is in the area to minimise damage to the 200km (125 miles) of tourist beaches that are already being polluted.

Environment Minister Roselyne Bachelot is due in Bordeaux on Monday to set up a branch of her ministry to oversee the operations.

Efforts are being focused initially on the Arcachon basin, a major shellfish producing area, which a 150-metre-long slick entered on Sunday.

Oyster fisherman, Alain Moureau
Arcachon produces 12,000 tonnes of oysters per year
"There is one [slick] we have lost sight of, but the other has arrived and we're going to try to contain it," said Aquitaine regional government officer Christian Fremont.

"The goal is to contain the oil before it hits land."

Officials who halted the gathering of shellfish in the basin over the weekend said they wanted to be absolutely sure that no oyster with even the slightest oil contamination was sold.

The Liberian-registered Prestige broke in two and sank off north-west Spain in November, and the oil has been drifting across the Bay of Biscay ever since.

Fisheries and tourist areas in the north of Spain have already been devastated.

France fears that the oil, in hundreds of small slicks, will continue washing up on its coast for weeks if not months.

Troops

Map of the region
"This is a crisis that will be long-lasting, this is nothing like the Erika disaster," Ms Bachelot told LCI television, referring to a one-off oil spill from a tanker which sank off Brittany in 1999.

Contamination, usually in the form of thousands of small lumps of oil, has been found on beaches from the Spanish border in the south to La Rochelle in the north.

Among 1,000 people engaged in clean-up operations are 200 troops.

Local mayors are reported to have complained that they want something like 5,000 troops - 25 times as many - to be deployed.

The French Government has so far made available 50 million euros to fund the clean-up, and opened a criminal inquiry to establish who is responsible for the spill.

The south-western coast is renowned for its sandy beaches lined with pine forests, and is popular with tourists and surfers.

Spain's coast and maritime fauna are threatened by the oil spill from the break-up of the Prestige

Key stories

Background

TALKING POINT

AUDIO VIDEO
See also:

04 Jan 03 | Europe
03 Jan 03 | Europe
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes