BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Monday, 6 January, 2003, 12:48 GMT
Men remanded over killing
Flowers mark the spot where Mr Cupples was attacked
Flowers mark the spot where Mr Cupples was attacked
Two brothers have appeared before a Belfast court on charges connected to the murder of a man in north Belfast last month.

William Alan Hill, aged 20 and unemployed, of Southport Court, Belfast, was accused of the murder of David Cupples in Belfast on December 22.

Edward David Hill, 18 and unemployed, and also from Southport Court, was accused of attempting to dispose of clothing with intent to impede the apprehension or prosecution of another person, believing him to be guilty of committing an arrestable offence.

Mr Cupples died on Christmas Day as a result of serious head injuries after he was attacked and beaten on his way to work at Girdwood army base.

The 25-year-old, from the Braniel estate in east Belfast, was attacked in a predominantly loyalist area of Clifton Park Avenue on 22 December.

Video link

Both men deny the charges.

The two men smiled and chatted to each other in the dock while the case was dealt with.

Detective Chief Inspector Nigel Stockdale said he believed he could connect William Hill to the murder charge.

Detective Constable Roy Stinson told the court that he believed he could connect Edward Hill to the alleged offence.

Both men were remanded in custody to appear by video link again on 3 February.

Two other men have been charged with attempting to assist offenders in connection with the attack on Mr Cupples.

They deny attempting to obtain and dispose of video evidence with intent to prevent the arrest of the killers.

They were remanded in custody after appearing in court on 31 December.

  WATCH/LISTEN
  ON THIS STORY
  BBC NI's Catherine Smyth:
"Both men were remanded in custody"
Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes