BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 11 December, 2002, 17:20 GMT
Malaysia resists arms case 'pressure'
Bofors gun
The guns were procured for India's army in the 1980s
Malaysia's prime minister has refused to intervene in the case of an Italian businessman wanted by India.

Mahathir Mohamad said any decision to extradite Ottavio Quattrocchi from Malaysia had to be taken by the courts.

What is important is the decision is not made by me - it is made by the courts

Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad
He was responding to a report that Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi had written to him to seek support for the businessman.

Mr Quattrocchi is wanted on bribery and corruption charges in connection with a long-running arms scandal in India.

He has been on bail since his arrest in Malaysia two years ago.

"What is important is the decision is not made by me. It is made by the courts," Dr Mahathir told RTM television.

A Malaysian court rejected India's extradition request on 2 December and demanded that Mr Quattrocchi's passport be returned.

A high court ruling on an appeal by Indian officials against that judgement is expected on Friday.

'We will win'

Mr Quattrocchi's lawyer said his client was optimistic ahead of the ruling.

"We are confident of victory. We will win," Muhammad Shafee Abdullah told AFP news agency.

Mr Quattrocchi says the charges against him are politically motivated.

He was friends with Rajiv Gandhi and his widow and current leader of India's opposition Congress Party, Sonia Gandhi.

Hindujas

The scandal dates back to the mid-1980s when the Indian Government finalised a $1.3bn deal with the Swedish arms company, Bofors, for the supply of 400 field guns.

Allegations circulated in the media soon after that bribes had been paid, and Indian officials launched an inquiry.

The current charges came after a long investigation by Indian police which also implicated a number of top politicians, including the then prime minister, Rajiv Gandhi.

Last week, the Indian Supreme Court postponed until March the trial of three of the billionaire Hinduja brothers - Srichand, Gopichand and Prakashchand - who are also accused in the case.

They deny all charges.

See also:

02 Dec 02 | South Asia
15 Nov 02 | South Asia
14 Nov 02 | South Asia
24 Oct 01 | South Asia
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes