BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Scotland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 10 December, 2002, 16:57 GMT
New concerns over Army deaths
Deepcut barracks
Police have called in a Ballistics expert from Germany
The parents of two soldiers who died at the Deepcut Army barracks in Surrey say they have been given potentially disturbing new information about their sons' deaths.

In a meeting with Surrey Police, the fathers of Geoff Gray, from Hackney in east London, and James Collinson, from Perth, were told that their sons' regimental cap badges were found some distance away from their bodies.

Private Gray's father, also called Geoff, told BBC Scotland that in the case of James Collinson, the cap badge was recovered from land outside the perimeter fence of the barracks.

The 17-year-old soldier had been on sentry duty in the barracks the night he died.

Private James Collinson
Private Collinson was on sentry duty
Mr Gray revealed that Surrey Police are planning to bring in a ballistics expert from Germany to help with their investigation.

Detectives are hoping to complete their enquiries by the end of January, when it is expected that a file will be sent to the Surrey coroner.

Controversy has surrounded the deaths of four young soldiers who died in mysterious circumstances at Deecut in the last seven years.

Privates Sean Benton, from Hastings in Sussex, and Cheryl James, from Llangollen in Wales, died in 1995.

Private Gray, from Seaham in County Durham, died from two gunshot wounds to the head while on guard duty in September 2001.

Private Collinson was found dead with a single gunshot wound while on guard duty at the barracks in March this year.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the soldiers took their own lives, but the families believe they were murdered.


Key stories

Background

AUDIO VIDEO
See also:

09 Dec 02 | Scotland
21 May 02 | Scotland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes