BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Russian Polish Albanian Greek Czech Ukrainian Serbian Turkish Romanian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Europe  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 10 December, 2002, 17:27 GMT
Hijackers 'returned cash before attack'
Sketch of Mounir al-Motassadek watching FBI agent give evidence
The FBI agent told of the investigation into the attacks
The hijackers who carried out the 11 September 2001 attacks on New York and Washington diligently wired money back to their associates before embarking on their mission, a German court heard.

FBI special agent Matthew Walsh told of large money transfers back to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in evidence at the trial of a Moroccan student accused of being the paymaster for the hijackers.


In the days leading up to 11 September it seems that the hijackers were returning the money they no longer needed

Matthew Walsh, FBI agent
Mr Walsh also told the Hamburg court of a call made by a stewardess on the first flight headed for the World Trade Center, in which she described a passenger being stabbed.

Mounir al-Motassadek is charged with being a member of a terrorist organisation and of being an accessory to more than 3,000 murders in New York and Washington. He denies the charges.

He is the first person to stand trial in connection with the 11 September attacks.

Mr Walsh said that more than $200,000 had been sent in small amounts from the UAE to accounts in the US held by two of the hijackers who were taking flying lessons in Florida.

But shortly before the attacks, "thousands of dollars" started flowing the other way.

Cash transactions

"In the days leading up to 11 September it seems that the hijackers were returning the money they no longer needed," Mr Walsh said.

He said that the ringleader of the attacks, Mohammed Atta, and Marwan al-Shehi, another of the Hamburg-based hijackers, had taken flying lessons while al-Qaeda suspect Ramzi Binalshibh had paid for them but never turned up.

Prosecutors believe Mr Motassadek transferred money from al-Shehi's Hamburg account via Mr Binalshibh, to fund the flight training.

Mr Binalshibh was arrested in Pakistan and is now in US custody.

Mounir al-Motassadek
Motassadek says he knew nothing of the planned attacks
Mr Motassadek has admitted knowing some of the hijackers - including Mohammed Atta - but says he was unaware of their plans.

Mr Walsh told how a call from a stewardess on board American Airlines flight 11 had given the investigation its first clues into the hijackings.

"On the telephone she said she saw these people stabbing a passenger as well as other flight crew," he said.

"The passenger in 10B had stabbed the passenger in front of him. She thought the passenger was already dead. I believe he had his throat cut.

"She also stated it was very hard to breathe, so we assume that mace or another gas was used."

He said that after Atta and al-Shehi had received their licences for propeller planes, they had gone to a simulation centre to practise flying jet aircraft.

Trial flights

"Instructors who taught those sessions said they were only interested in turns and approaches," he said.

Ramzi Binalshibh
Ramzi Binalshibh is in custody in the US
"They took several trips across country from New York, Boston and Washington out to California. On all these trips they used the same type of aircraft that was used on 11 September."

Mr Motassadek's lawyers have said the trial should be stopped because their client cannot have a fair hearing unless Mr Binalshibh is called to testify.

US authorities have said he is "unavailable" for testimony.

The trial judge has said he will wait until all the witnesses have been before he rules on the plea.

The trial is expected to run until at least January.


Key stories

European probe

Background

IN DEPTH
See also:

27 Oct 02 | From Our Own Correspondent
22 Oct 02 | Europe
29 Aug 02 | Americas
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes