BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 10 December, 2002, 17:58 GMT
Rail firm's offer 'insignificant'
First North Western train
New strikes are set to happen over the new year
Union leaders have rejected as "insignificant" rail firm First North Western's latest pay offer for train drivers.

On Tuesday, Aslef said a 4% pay offer for its members in the North West was thrown out because of the way the wage increase was to be phased in.

The union has planned new strike action on 31 December and1 January 2003 and 2-3 February after rejecting the deal.

Walkouts by drivers on 14-15 and 21-22 December were suspended in light of the expected offer, raising hopes the dispute would come to an end.

It is typical that Aslef has gone to the media first before coming to us

First North Western spokesman

A similar dispute by Aslef with the newly-formed rail franchise Wales and Borders looks likely to be at an end.

The union has recommended its members to accept the company's pay offer.

On Tuesday, Aslef general secretary Mick Rix said of the First North Western dispute: "It is unfortunate that we at Aslef have had to set new dates for industrial action.

"But we were led to believe by management that the new offer would be a significant improvement and would meet the aspirations of our members on First North Western.

"Unfortunately this was not the case."

'Extremely disappointed'

Vernon Barker, managing director of First North Western, said he was pleased strike action planned for the next two weekends had been dropped.

But he added: "We are, however, extremely disappointed that notice has been given for further strike dates as we go into the New Year.

"We had, we believed, made significant movement towards Aslef's aspirations.

"We are still eager to continue talks with Aslef in the hope that we can resolve any other outstanding issues it may have."

The dispute began on 13 August this year over pay and conditions for train drivers.

Aslef claimed First North Western had introduced "new and unacceptable" proposals.

The train company said the union had reneged on a deal that it said would have seen drivers receive a 19% pay rise over three years.

See also:

09 Dec 02 | England
24 Oct 02 | England
20 Oct 02 | Wales
19 Oct 02 | England
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes