BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 10 December, 2002, 12:47 GMT
Ministry criticised over lost missiles
Missiles
The missiles have never been found
An official inquiry has criticised the Ministry of Defence, after enough explosives to destroy a small ship were lost in the Bristol Channel.

The batch of 20 missiles had been taken to Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, to be disposed of in mudflats, but floated away before detonation on 3 March.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) and a private contractor noticed they had gone missing at 0300 GMT but failed to report the loss until 1700 GMT.

By the time ships heading to and from Avonmouth in the Bristol Channel had been alerted, the pallet full of explosives had been missing for at least 15 hours.

Ian Liddell-Grainger MP
The local MP will take the matter further
Bridgwater MP Ian Liddell-Grainger said: "They sent a diving team of six people to search the Bristol Channel for 20 missiles.

"Anybody could tell them we have a 22-foot tidal range.

"These missiles are not going to be where they think they'll be.

"I am livid that they just will not take this seriously and I am going to pursue the Ministry of Defence until these missiles are located and destroyed as opposed to being left floating around in the Bristol Channel."

'Unacceptable' delay

The 20 missiles - each one powerful enough to blow up a tank - had been taken to St Thomas's Head on the coast near Weston-super-Mare to be destroyed.

They were part of a consignment staked out into the mud at low tide, to be blown up when the waters came in.

However they were not tied down securely enough and, despite a major search, have never been found.

The official inquiry, released on Monday, revealed a series of mistakes made by the MoD and its contractor, Qinetiq.

It said the delay in informing the police and coastguard was "unacceptable".

The licence to dispose of weapons at St Thomas's Head was withdrawn shortly after the incident.


Click here to go to Bristol
See also:

06 Mar 02 | England
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes