BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: Programmes: Breakfast  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Breakfast Tuesday, 10 December, 2002, 05:27 GMT
Cherie Blair and the convicted con man
Tony and Cherie Blair in November
The Blairs are coming under increasing pressure
The Shadow Home Secretary, Oliver Letwin, is calling for an inquiry into whether ministers became involved in efforts to deport the conman Peter Foster. He's the man who helped Cherie Blair buy two flats.

  • Breakfast talked to Stephen Pound, loyal Labour MP, and Martin Bell, former Independent MP for Tatton and anti-sleaze campaigner.

    Their discussion focussed on the trust factor, and the media's seemingly insatiable hunger for more on this story and how they view Cherie, who is a strong woman with a private life.


  • Breakfast also heard from Michael Ancram, Conservative Deputy leader. He said we really do need an official inquiry. He also questioned the integrity of Downing Street.


    click here to e-mail us with your views

    Prime Minister Tony Blair has insisted his wife Cherie did not meddle in moves to deport the conman who helped her buy two flats.

    He defended her after solicitors representing convicted fraudster Peter Foster, confirmed Mrs Blair had telephoned them to inquire about the case.

    All she did was speak to the lawyers on the phone to check if the case was being handled properly

    Clare Short

    Mr Blair said the case had been handled "entirely properly", insisting there was "no political interference".

    Downing Street had earlier said Mrs Blair - a friend of Mr Foster's girlfriend Carole Caplin - did not "assist" the Australian in his legal battle against deportation from the UK.

    In an interview with Tuesday's Financial Times - given before the news of the phone call broke - Mr Blair played down the importance of the row.

    He said: "This is just part of what comes with the territory nowadays. This type of media frenzy will come and it will go."

    Mr Foster's solicitors said Mrs Blair took part in a conference call on 22 November, but this was only "to reassure" Ms Caplin about the progress of immigration proceedings.

    The solicitor's statement stressed Mrs Blair "did not intrude into our conduct of the proceedings and for the avoidance of doubt, had no say whatsoever in our choice of representation".

    Peter Foster
    Peter Foster faces deportation proceedings

    The row began last week when it was reported that Mr Foster had boasted that Mrs Blair had asked him to negotiate the purchase of two luxury flats in Bristol.

    Mrs Blair said she had not known of Mr Foster's criminal past when she first accepted his offers of help for the flat sale.

    But commentators said it "stretched credulity" that she could get involved with his deportation case without knowing his background.

    Downing Street said she stood by her statement that she would have been more "circumspect" had she known of Mr Foster's past.

    'Out of control'

    "At no point did she interfere in the immigration case proceedings. Nor would she," it said on Monday.

    The call to Mr Foster's solicitors had been "short" and aimed at helping Ms Caplin, it said.

    All she did was speak to the lawyers on the phone to check if the case was being handled properly

    International Development Secretary Clare Short
    International Development Secretary Clare Short told BBC2's Newsnight programme Mrs Blair had done nothing wrong.

    She said: "The whole thing is out of control and it is ridiculous.

    "All she did was speak to the lawyers on the phone to check if the case was being handled properly."

    BBC political editor Andrew Marr agreed Mrs Blair had done nothing legally wrong, but said her actions showed a worrying "lack of judgement" for a prime minister's spouse.

    "The government's reputation is a bit tarnished, the Blairs' reputation is a bit tarnished, and they've learned some very, very hard lessons," he said.

    Downing Street also insisted no rules were broken in the purchase of two flats in Bristol, as the Tory party had suggested there could be.

    This was because the Blairs' blind trust - trusts set up so ministers do not know how their money is being invested so cannot be accused of impropriety - was used to buy the flats.

    Downing Street said the relevant code of conduct covered share dealings and other areas where the government could be thought to influence the situation, not flats.

    TELL US WHAT YOU THINK

    To have your say, e-mail us at breakfasttv@bbc.co.uk

    Send us your comments:
    Name:

    Your E-mail Address:

    Town/City:

    Commenting on:

    Comments:

  • Home
    When we are on air
    Recent forums
    Programme archive
    Studio tour
    Today's information
    MEET THE TEAM
    Presenters
    Reporters
    YOUR SAY
    Contact us
    Your comments

    Latest news

    Background & analysis

    Profiles

    AUDIO VIDEO

    HAVE YOUR SAY
    See also:

    09 Dec 02 | Politics
    06 Dec 02 | Politics

    E-mail this story to a friend

    Links to more Breakfast stories

    © BBC ^^ Back to top

    News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
    South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
    Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
    Programmes